Mike asks a good question MSDN - Is it worth it?
I have two, count em, two subscriptions (work + MVP) .. and other than the occasional download of
an OS or SQL server installation for convenience, I almost never use
either of them. As a responsible employee (consultant in my case) I
really should weigh my decision to continue having my client purchase
this for me and the other developers here. It's a good resource, but
really only in the software-packrat/i have to have
it all cause maybe I'll need it someday sense. In reality, it think
it's a bit wasteful.
often heard people comment that cost is no concern to them when their
employer is footing the bill (Enterprise software vendors can thank
their lucky stars for the prevalence of this attitude BTW). But as
smart consultant once commented, every dollar I can save a client is a
dollar they can afford to pay my invoices, and I believe it. Full
time employees should think along those same lines, but even if you
don't care about saving your employer money, wasting money is just
plain, well wasteful. Like leaving a light on when you
don't need it - it's not doing anyone anyone any good and doesn't help
build an economy that is sustainable with healthy growth and innovation.
I'm on the topic waste, the MSDN DVDs are nice to have, but talk about
putting a big dent in your carbon footprint. I'd say I end up
shredding 99% of the DVDs I get mailed and the other 1% I've lost
Does this sound preachy? I hope not, in fact, I
personally need to cancel one of my subscriptions and opt out of my DVD
media coming in the mail. I need to stop getting VAR business magazine
and all those other magazines which I don't read. I need to help cut my technical
waste, be it financial or paper and plastic.
On the other hand, I just may need that MOM 2005 with SP1 disk someday, you never know....
10-03-2007 12:01 PM