Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1

Just grabbed my copy of FireFox 3 Beta 1 today..  After installation, most of the extensions that I've come to rely on aren't working, which is understandable.  One extension, FireBug, is a tool that I simply cannot work without.  It's the best tool I've ever found for debugging HTML, CSS, HTTP and JavaScript, bar none.  If you're a web developer working without it, you may find that you're spending way more time than you have to debugging browser issues.

The problem is, when I tried to install it under FF3, I got the message that it would not run... Here are the steps I took to fix this.

1. Saved the  firebug-1.05-fx+fl.xpi file to disk
  2. Re-named it to firebug-1.05-fx+fl.zip
  3. Opened the zip file, and extracted the file  "install.rdf"
  4. Opened "install.rdf" with Notepad
  5. Changed <em:maxVersion>2.0.0.*</em:maxVersion> to <em:maxVersion>3.0.0.*</em:maxVersion>
  6. Saved the file, and replaced the version in the zip file with the new version
  7. Renamed the .zip file back to  firebug-1.05-fx+fl.xpi
  8. Drag-drop  firebug-1.05-fx+fl.xpi into an instance of FF3.

Voila!  I have FireBug with FF3!  You can also try this with other extensions, but your mileage may vary.

-Brendan

Posted 11-20-2007 11:21 AM by Brendan Tompkins
Filed under: ,

Comments

Bill wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 11-20-2007 4:26 PM
You could install the firebug 1.1 beta http://fireclipse.xucia.com/#Downloads
Otto wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 11-20-2007 5:03 PM

Thanks for the tip. There also seems to be a premodified version with some other fixes available here:

Jason wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 11-20-2007 6:47 PM

I'm getting an error "__firebugTemp__ is not defined", but it seems to be working just fine.

Also, there's a trailing slash+gt (end of an empty XML tag) on the tabbed menu just after Net.

But good work on this! Firebug is essential.

Brendan Tompkins wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 11-20-2007 8:59 PM

Well, looks like you could do all this work OR just install fireeclippse... Heh.. Well, anyhow maybe the same approach will work for other extensions.

Vishal Agarwala wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 11-20-2007 10:13 PM

Thanks for this! I don't know what I'd do without Firebug.

Bakgunicious » Firefox 3.0 beta1?????? Firebug add-on ???????????? wrote Bakgunicious &raquo; Firefox 3.0 beta1?????? Firebug add-on ????????????
on 11-21-2007 7:23 PM

Pingback from  Bakgunicious &raquo; Firefox 3.0 beta1?????? Firebug add-on ????????????

Mark Harrison wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 11-23-2007 2:04 PM

Just a word of warning.

I'm using Firefox 3.0b1, and installed Firebug following your instruction.

Most sites worked, however, sites that used xmlHttpRequest (ie - Ajax-heavy) suddenly hung on trying to GET the Ajax payload and never returned.

Example sites: Twitter, Google Reader

Disabling Firebug made them start working again.

Not sure whether this is related to the _Firebug_temp_ not defined error, which I'm also getting.

Regards,

Mark

Matt wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 11-23-2007 5:04 PM

Or just install the Nightly Tester Tools

www.oxymoronical.com/.../nightly

Roger wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 03-18-2008 5:32 PM

Yep download 1.1 beta at http://getfirebug.com/releases

viger wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 03-19-2008 10:10 PM

you can update firebug version to 1.1.0b12.

Cr??ation site internet Lyon » Archive du blog » Firebug dans Firefox 3 beta wrote Cr??ation site internet Lyon &raquo; Archive du blog &raquo; Firebug dans Firefox 3 beta
on 03-22-2008 7:38 AM

Pingback from  Cr??ation site internet Lyon  &raquo; Archive du blog   &raquo; Firebug dans Firefox 3 beta

FIREFOX4 wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 03-25-2008 5:04 PM

__firebugTemp__ is not defined

__firebugTemp__ is not defined

__firebugTemp__ is not defined

__firebugTemp__ is not defined

__firebugTemp__ is not defined

__firebugTemp__ is not defined

__firebugTemp__ is not defined

CUANDO ACTUALIZAN FIREBUG!!!! :D

Werewolf girl wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 04-26-2008 12:56 AM

I didn't have to do anything :D

Daz wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 04-27-2008 12:41 PM

Didn't work for me. I can't even open up the firebug window. I tried to firce it open in another window by inspecting the element from the right-click menu. It opens in another window, but the are image placemarks where images should be, the code parsed is all in plain text, and it's just all over the place.

IMHO, so many things have changed in Firefox 3, that Firebug needs a revamp before it becomes compatible with it again.

I think the JavaScript engine hasn't really changed as Firebug under-the-hood seems to still work, but the way HTML/CSS is parsed, has.

I'll try the new beta version of Firebug now.

Firefox 3 Beta Broken Plugins From the blog archives of rjmolesa wrote Firefox 3 Beta Broken Plugins From the blog archives of rjmolesa
on 04-28-2008 3:07 PM

Pingback from  Firefox 3 Beta Broken Plugins From the blog archives of rjmolesa

Stefan wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 04-28-2008 4:26 PM

Hey everybody, there is already a new version of firebug (1.1 beta). It just works also with firefox 3.

Best regards...

jack wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 04-30-2008 5:09 AM

where to add the xpi file in program files. Please help me

import me » Blog Archive » firefox 3.0b5 wrote import me &raquo; Blog Archive &raquo; firefox 3.0b5
on 05-03-2008 1:01 PM

Pingback from  import me  &raquo; Blog Archive   &raquo; firefox 3.0b5

John wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 05-04-2008 7:55 PM

Hello

Or if you down with using beta software install 1.1, I have just installed it and it seems to work AOK on FF3 3 beta 5.

Cheers

Nithin wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 06-02-2008 12:10 AM

Thanks a lot dude!

jumpnjack wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 06-18-2008 3:31 AM

works whatever.

thx'lot

christmo wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 06-18-2008 5:20 PM

Funciona gracias por el aporte

Gracias

tetex wrote re: Getting FireBug to work with FireFox 3 Beta 1
on 08-30-2008 10:11 AM

Many, many thanks!

I've changed this line in firebug 1.2.0: from 3.0.* to 3.0.0.* (because it's kinda not worked anymore after some update)

and now it works on FF 3.0.1