Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List

It struck me that a good reading list is always welcome to find, and while I suspect most of these books are not entirely new to you, I thought it a good idea to list what I think is the basis of any good development library. Start with these books and you cannot go far wrong, what they teach will be valuable for many years to come.

The links go off to Amazon for information purposes, but I get no referrer fee or credits, so feel free to purchase where you find the best deal!

Code Complete 2Code Complete 2

There is no better book for teaching the fundamentals of good software development. This is a book that explains exactly what goes wrong in software projects, and makes excellent observations and recommendations to avoid falling into the same pitfalls over and over again.

Domain Driven DesignDomain Driven Design

Eric Evans has made a wonderful contribution to code design with this book, neatly encapsulating a number of OOD and OOP principles into a coherrent world he defined as Domain Driven Design. Regardless of whether you buy into DDD as a fashion accessory, this book provides masses of valuable information on how to structure and design your applications.

Enterprise Integration PatternsEnterprise Integration Patterns

This is a no compromise, heavy reading book on just how to put patterns into your enterprise code. It proves to be an invaluable resource when read alongside Domain Driven Design, giving well explained patterns for dealing with many of the concepts DDD puts forwards. Martin Fowler writes the forward (I put him as the author ... silly me!)

Patterns of Enteprise Application ArchitecturePatterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

A Martin Fowler classic, that has become almost the bible of patterns in the enterprise world. While some of the patterns here may run contrary to later evolutions and thinking, this book provides a good solid foundation of patterns at a higher (and in my opinion, more useful) level than the original GoF book did.

Refactoring To PatternsRefactoring to Patterns

Where most books focus on defining patterns in isolation from real code, or real usage, this book very clearly sets out to put patterns in their context in existing code bases, and provides many good approaches to refactoring code into a set of recognisable patterns. If nothing else, this book shows how to improve your own code, by showing how simple it is to make a few small changes, and increase code quality significantly.

Effectively Working With Legacy CodeWorking Effectively With Legacy Code

Sometimes you cannot avoid legacy code, sometimes you end up with legacy code on a new project. Michael Feathers' book is an excellent resource when trying to bring some sense of order back on to an unruly code base. At a slightly grittier level than Refactoring to Patterns, this book gives practical ways of dealing with low quality code, and either isolating it, or bringing it into some kind of order.

Posted 05-19-2008 9:09 AM by Jak Charlton

Comments

Dew Drop - May 19, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - May 19, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 05-19-2008 7:54 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - May 19, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

DotNetKicks.com wrote Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-19-2008 9:20 AM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

anonymoose wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-19-2008 2:45 PM

Interesting list. I'd add The Pragmatic Programmer.

Christopher Steen wrote Link Listing - May 19, 2008
on 05-20-2008 2:45 AM

ASP.NET Integrated social networking in ASP.NET [Via: 100muses ] Sharepoint When to dispose of objects...

Dennis Martinez wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-20-2008 2:09 PM

Great list (especially Code Complete - should be required reading by all programmers). And I second the notion that The Pragmatic Programmer should be included in this list.

Sharma wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-20-2008 2:16 PM

Yeah, great list. And the Pragmatic Programmer should be a good addition; so should The Practice of Programming.

Crunge wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-20-2008 2:23 PM

I've read all the books on the list except for "Effectively Working with Legacy Code" and I've also read "The Pragmatic Programmer" and I must say: I don't get it. So may people rave about it but I found almost nothing of interest in it.

As for the books on the list, I used to buy a copy of "Code Complete" for every developer I hired and require them to read it.

Matt Doar wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-20-2008 4:37 PM

Good list. I'd add Programming Pearls for pure pleasure and The Practice of Programming for its fine insights.

~Matt

p.s. It's "Working Effectively" not "Effectively Working", which is rather different!

Stephen Waits wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-20-2008 5:32 PM

Code Complete is the book every manager thinks his programmers should read.  You'll see it on all said managers bookshelves.  When I see this book on someone's bookshelf, I know to be careful, for danger lies therein.

Jak Charlton wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-20-2008 6:08 PM

I would say Code Complete is the book every developer AND every manager should read ... so any manager that has it on their shelf is already a plus point up for me ... it is written in a language that developers, managers, project managers, and even business owners can understand and "get"

links for 2008-05-21 « Paolo Gabrielli’s Blog wrote links for 2008-05-21 « Paolo Gabrielli’s Blog
on 05-20-2008 9:32 PM

Pingback from  links for 2008-05-21 « Paolo Gabrielli’s Blog

Gabriel C. wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-21-2008 9:16 AM

Nice list, although "The Mythical Man-Month" and "Peopleware" seems to be missing! ;-)

I kind of disagree with your description of  "Enterprise Integration Patterns": is not from Martin Fowler, is from Hohpe and Woolf and is about messaging patterns for communication between systems... I find it orthogonal to DDD, they cover complementary areas

Jak Charlton wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-21-2008 9:38 AM

@Gabriel,

Good catch on the wrong attribution ... copy/paste/not reading as copy/pasting LOL

And yeah I forgot The Mythical Man Month ... Doh!!!

Gabriel C. wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-21-2008 1:49 PM

I guess "The Mythical Man Month " is the kind of book that you need to read *after* a big failure, so you can bang your head against the wall :-), it doesn't need to be in the starting list ;-)

Is amazing how a book written in the seventies about a project in the sixties still feels so relevant today...

Jeffrey Evans wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-22-2008 2:16 AM

I have literally read hundreds of books on programming. Guess thats what happens when you are looking for the answers to specific challenges. None however has been as valuable to me in my professional develpment as Code Complete. (origninal edition. Have not read the second edition) Great choice and is at the top of the list exactly where it belongs.

D Owens wrote re: Good Development Practices - Basic Reading List
on 05-22-2008 2:52 PM

Yourdon's Death March - everyone in IT should read it, as you'll encounter one of these projects at some point.

Recent Links Tagged With "designpatterns" - JabberTags wrote Recent Links Tagged With "designpatterns" - JabberTags
on 08-26-2008 10:15 AM

Pingback from  Recent Links Tagged With "designpatterns" - JabberTags

Recent Faves Tagged With "designpatterns" : MyNetFaves wrote Recent Faves Tagged With "designpatterns" : MyNetFaves
on 10-21-2008 2:20 PM