Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting

I have been playing around with a sample project, mostly at this point for my own amusement, and to try out some ideas I have. I had started hosting this on GoogleCode, as I have many of my applications now on Google on a day to day basis.

GoogleCode isn't bad as a Subversion host, but one of the limitations they built into the system is that all projects are public.

Now I have no problem with people seeing my code, or playing with it, but at least initially it's mostly hacky framework and solution structure stuff, and of no interest to anyone till it gets some meat on it's bones. It even had the MVC default project in it to start with, and somebody asked what on earth I was doing with validation logic in my controllers :)

Anyway, I looked around a bit for another Subversion host, and came across XP-Dev. Not only do they provide free Subversion hosting, and a project tracker/planner comparable to GoogleCode, they also allow you to mark projects as private.

So for now I have switched to XP-Dev, and so far I'm sure the response is faster than GoogleCode. The guy behind it seems pretty open and helpful, and he is actively asking for feedback and input into how the site should evolve. If you are looking for a Subversion host, free and flexible, give XP-Dev a go.

Posted 02-03-2009 8:12 AM by Jak Charlton
Filed under:

Comments

Michael wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-03-2009 5:09 AM

Casey,

Thanks a lot for information! I looked to assembla.com several months ago, but now they not allow have free private repositories, so xp-dev is really good alternative with quite enough storage space.

Hadi wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-03-2009 7:30 AM

I've been hosting my project with them for 6 months now and I'm very pleased. The server is always up and fast and there's plenty of space available.

Chris Allen wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-03-2009 8:17 AM

Thanks for the information and I will definitely check them out.  I've been using Unfuddle for a few months, and even though it offers git repositories as well, it looks like XP-Dev has them beat out on the things it offers for free (like number of projects and disk space).

Christopher Bennage wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-03-2009 9:16 AM

We use Unfuddle as well,  and I've been very pleased. I don't believe that there is a public option though (if you ever need to go the other way).

David R. Longnecker wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-03-2009 10:51 AM

Ahh, excellent find.  I've been looking at setting up my own SVN to get away from the public projects in GoogleCode, but haven't had the time.  This looks like a nice alternative.  Thanks!

rs wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-03-2009 3:03 PM

Hey Casey! Roopinder here from xp-dev.com

Thanks for the blog. I really appreciate it. :)

Jak Charlton wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-04-2009 6:42 AM

Roopinder no problem, thanks for providing me with a great svn option!

Casey Charlton - Insane World wrote Suggestions for a Sample Application?
on 02-05-2009 3:21 AM

I've been playing around with some ideas that I want to drop into a sample application, but I am

Community Blogs wrote Suggestions for a Sample Application?
on 02-05-2009 3:42 AM

Brian DeMarzo wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 02-05-2009 2:28 PM

I used hosted-projects.com for about two years -- their service was SPECTACULAR.

About six months ago I switched to SVNRepository.com.  Their service is also SPECTACULAR, and they give more disk space for the money.

I would highly recommend either one.

David Carrillo wrote re: Hosted Subversion - Alternative to GoogleCode Hosting
on 04-07-2009 5:48 PM

The service in Xp.Dev is great the SVN is excellent and the Bug Tracking.  You can have private and public repositories and share the Bug Tracking with other users. For now is free...Amazing!!!