TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior

So, today I needed to create a 'password' entry text box for my application at work. I needed to have this perform like every other password text box, but I also needed the text box to be MUCH larger than normal (the application is for Tablet PC and everything is over sized).

I set the UseSystemPasswordChar to true and ran the application and BAM... nothing happened. OK, so I set the PasswordChar to '*' and set UseSystemPasswordChar to false and re-ran the application and BAM.... nothing happened again.

Now I am stumped. So I go out to MSDN to make sure I am doing this correctly and sure enough it appears I am.

After looking at ALL the properties for the control for a good 5 minutes I realized that I had set the MultiLine property to true. Just for fun I set it back to false and re-ran the application and BAM... it now works.

OK, can anyone tell me WHY setting the MultiLine property to true will NOT allow either the PasswordChar or UseSystemPasswordChar to work correctly? I went out the MSDN again, but could not find any reference to MultiLine anywhere on these topics.

Is it just me or is this odd?

Posted 10-25-2006 6:29 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Eber Irigoyen wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 10-25-2006 11:17 AM

never seen a multi-line password

on the web controls the modes are

MultiLine

SingleLine

Password

Zach Parrish wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 10-26-2006 9:29 AM

When you set the MultiLine property to true, it changes the way the textbox is rendered in html.  Instead of being an input element with a type="text" attribute (or password in your case), it becomes a textarea element and so it loses the password functionality.

Zach Parrish wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 10-26-2006 9:35 AM

I just noticed this was in regards to WinForms, sorry about the previous comment...I'm just always in web developer mode.  So I'm not sure why it wouldn't work then.  Maybe MS was just trying to keep control behavior consistent across winforms and webforms? Or perhaps they decided for you that there would surely be no case in which you would ever need a multiline password input box.

Fritz wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 10-29-2006 8:48 PM

I'm just guessing, but it probably renders the HTML for multi-line as something like:

<textarea name="textareaName" rows="4" cols="40"></textarea>

instead of:

<input type="password" name="pwfieldName" size="24">

in which case, you'd have to use javascript to trap keydown events for the textarea in order to populate some off-screen variable while dumping "*"s into the textfield.

Cheers,

Fritz

Jon Ronnenberg wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 10-29-2006 8:56 PM

No se.

But it strikes me that no one would ever use a multi lined textbox for passwords so why should Microsoft add support for it?

PartialClass wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 11-17-2006 12:50 PM

why u need a multiline textbox for password ?

Are you going to write story in it? :D

Derik Whittaker wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 11-17-2006 7:22 PM

I dont really need to, but i was just noticed that it really screwed stuff up.

Adi wrote re: TextBoxes and Password Chars -- Strange behavior
on 11-19-2006 2:20 PM

The ES_PASSWORD is valid only for single-line edit controls. So ES_MULTILINE and ES_PASSWORD won't work together.