Has anyone else seen this message when trying to compile a solution?  My dev box has 2 gigs of memory with about 1 gig free when i get this.  I get this about once or twice a week.

The only way to get around this is to restart the IDE, kinda annoying....

Has anyone else seen this?

Posted 05-01-2007 10:06 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under:

Comments

Jeremy wrote re: VS 2005 Annoyance -- "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"
on 05-01-2007 11:26 AM

Yup, I've seen it too.  Ironically, I didn't start seeing it until I upgraded my box from 1GB of memory to 2GBs.  I think I just got a little more 'liberal' with my Visual Studio instances after that.

I see it many 2 -3 times a month.

Kevin wrote re: VS 2005 Annoyance -- "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"
on 05-01-2007 12:57 PM

I am not sure that it is VS (or at least the IDE part).  We have some internal tools that call msbuild directly and I've seen that before on occasion.  I've only observed this issue occur when trying to compile projects with a lot of references so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Brett wrote re: VS 2005 Annoyance -- "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"
on 05-01-2007 2:08 PM

I periodically delete my solutions .SUO "prefs" file, as when this grows too large (on web projects, for e.g.) it can cause VS to use huge amounts of RAM and finally die.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: VS 2005 Annoyance -- "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"
on 05-01-2007 3:02 PM

Brett,

I like your idea, i will try it.

My solution file has 13 projects (some are large) so maybe this could help.

Thanks,

Derik

adrianbanks wrote re: VS 2005 Annoyance -- "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"
on 08-10-2007 2:20 PM

I had this recently. It was an error in Visual Studio, but it originated from MSBuild whilst trying to compile. A restart of VS solved the problem though.

Jonathan Woods wrote re: VS 2005 Annoyance -- "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"
on 01-23-2009 2:55 AM

(1) Locate [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]

(2) Delete "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) "=""

John wrote re: VS 2005 Annoyance -- "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"
on 02-10-2009 6:47 PM

Jonathan,  your solution works! Thanks!