Resetting your Default Language Settings in VS 2005

After you have installed Visual Studio 2005 you are prompted to ‘choose’ the default collection of settings for your environment.  Depending one what choice you chose will dictate your keyboard mappings, your menu options, etc.

What do you do if you don’t like your selection after the initial install or if you want to change them?  You can change them, but it is not intuitive.

Here are the steps to change your settings:

1. Choose Tools -> Import and Export Settings...
  2. Select Reset All Settings and click Next
  3. Select whether you would like to save the current settings (I would say not here) and click Next
  4. Select the settings you want to use and click Finish

There you have it, the steps to reset/change your default language settings…

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Posted 06-18-2007 6:09 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under:

Comments

Kareena wrote re: Resetting your Default Language Settings in VS 2005
on 06-19-2007 7:15 AM

Thanks for that!  I've just started a new role and inherited a desktop with a very unfamiliar setup in Visual Studio but I had no idea how I could change it.  I feel much better now.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Resetting your Default Language Settings in VS 2005
on 06-19-2007 7:29 AM

@Kareena,

I was in the same situation yesterday, which is why i created the post.  I have no idea what setup the person prior to me had, but it was NOT the one i like or use.

Glad i could help

Asad wrote re: Resetting your Default Language Settings in VS 2005
on 04-23-2008 2:19 AM

Good it helps

Dharmendra Bhargava wrote re: Resetting your Default Language Settings in VS 2005
on 07-04-2008 10:03 AM

Thanks to you.....it was really very helpful.

It works reallly fast.

Saim wrote re: Resetting your Default Language Settings in VS 2005
on 07-29-2008 9:47 AM

I have installed visual studio 2005 in Italian. I want every thing to change in English. Unfortunately, I dont know Italian. Can any one help me in changing my language settings.?

Regards