Something odd with my unit tests running in a VM

Today I noticed something very odd when doing some SharePoint development.

I have a VM setup with Win2003 on it in order to do my coding.  I was able to run my unit tests (via Resharper's Unit Test Runner UI) and was coding away.  I decided to map a share to my host PC and move the source over to the host (thought it was better to keep the source on the host then the vm).  After I moved the source to the host I opened the solution again, but this time from the hosts' file share.  When I tried to run the same unit tests everything appeared to be working fine however the unit tests would not run.  The test IDE just said 'tests did not execute'.  I did not get any errors.

I thought this was odd, so I shut down the IDE and tried it again.  Same thing.  Just to see if it was caused by the files being on a share I re-opened the solution that was inside the VM.  This time all was well.

I don't know if this only happens when using the Resharper UI or if it would happen using NUnit's UI.  I will have to check and see.

Has anyone else noticed this before?

Posted 10-02-2007 8:59 PM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

Sean Chambers wrote re: Something odd with my unit tests running in a VM
on 10-03-2007 7:29 AM

Ya know, I have found a couple of quirks with the ReSharper test runner in the past. It's a really awesome tool and I use it exclusively, but like I said there are some bugs in there.

Couple this with trying to run the tests within vm across a "virtual" share? I would expect some strange results.

I have submitted some bugs in the past the jetbrains about the unit test runner. If I were you, I would head over to their website and submit a bug for it. Interesting all the same.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Something odd with my unit tests running in a VM
on 10-03-2007 8:06 AM

@Sean

Thanks, i will submit an issue with JetBrains.

Derik

Jason Meridth wrote re: Something odd with my unit tests running in a VM
on 10-03-2007 12:20 PM

Derik,

Sometimes I get weird activity in the JetBrains Test Runner, but when I run it in NUnit, the explicit cause is shown to me.  Once fixed then go back to JetBrains Test Runner.

Definitely wish I wouldn't have to run in NUnit, but it does work out.  A submission to JetBrains is a good idea.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Something odd with my unit tests running in a VM
on 10-03-2007 1:47 PM

I did submit a bug report to jet brains.  I also noticed the the NUnit ide did the same thing...

andrew finkenstadt wrote re: Something odd with my unit tests running in a VM
on 10-07-2007 11:44 AM

Is is possible that the "share" causes .Net to give up security credentials prior to execution?  I know that i have different behaviours running .Net code from a share versus from a local drive.