Object Construction - Constructing for Success - Part Duex

A few months ago I posted about my thoughts on Object Construction (found here).  In the post I talk about constructing object with ALL the required values to make the object valid.

This post is just a quick follow up to that.  The other day I was refactoring some code and needed to add a new property to it.  The new property was a required one and the object would not be considered valid without it being populated.  Because I have my constructor require all needed properties, I simply added the parameter to the constructor's signature and re-compiled.

Because this is now part of my constructor I instantly knew where I needed to update my code to add this call (yes I know I could have found this other ways, but this is the simplest if you ask me).  Had my constructor NOT required the values, I would have had to search for every use of the object and perform a set on my new property.  This is doable, but is more error prone.  With my luck I would have missed something.

Anyway, the point of this was that if you put requirements on your objects it will make for simpler and easier refactoring later.

Posted 10-24-2007 9:07 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

Eber Irigoyen wrote re: Object Construction - Constructing for Success - Part Duex
on 10-24-2007 12:33 PM

have been using that technique since the good old Delphi days =o)

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Object Construction - Constructing for Success - Part Duex
on 10-24-2007 12:45 PM

@Eber,

Then you know exactly what i am talking about.  Sad thing is, some people i know DONT want to construct objects that are valid.  They like having to set each property one by one.

joeydotnet wrote re: Object Construction - Constructing for Success - Part Duex
on 10-24-2007 2:45 PM

In some situations, encapsulating the construction process in a Factory can make it easier to change how an object gets a constructed later on.  This works great if the construction process itself starts to get complex.  This removes the reliance upon the constructor and abstracts it behind, even a Factory interface.

Just another perspective...

on 10-24-2007 2:57 PM

It's easy to be a lazy developer

on 10-24-2007 3:25 PM

@Joey,

You are correct.  in fact in my first post I mentioned the factory option as well.

DotNetKicks.com wrote Object Construction - Constructing for Success - Part Duex
on 10-25-2007 9:38 AM