Sir, please put the Blackberry away

This is WAY off topic here, but I just have to say this.  Our society is way too connected.  We have everything from 5 year olds with cell phones and 85 year olds with blog postings.  But sometimes we need to just put the Blackberry down for a 3 minutes.

A few weeks ago I was in the men's room and another gentlemen came in and stood in the 'stall' next to me.  The problem was that he was going 'hands free' because he was too busy reading and replying to something on his Blackberry.

Really, can you not 'disconnect' for 3 minutes to answer natures call?  Do we really need to be reading emails, answering emails, or worse yet TAKING CALLS while going to the bathroom?

While I am on this subject, will all you idiots that are texting or surfing the web while driving just please stop.  I really don't care if you kill yourself while doing this.  I just don't want you to kill me or a loved one.

Again, sorry just had to get this out there.

Posted 11-01-2007 11:42 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Sir, please put the Blackberry away
on 11-01-2007 1:33 PM

Preach it brother!

Dave Campbell wrote re: Sir, please put the Blackberry away
on 11-01-2007 3:04 PM

Yeah... it sorta creeped me out when a guy in a stall next to me took a phone call...  Really... I don't want to be talking to someone and hear a flushing sound... these people are either way to important or self-important :)

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Sir, please put the Blackberry away
on 11-01-2007 3:14 PM

@Dave,

I going to go with either too self-important, or they think it may be 'cool' because they can do this.

Mike Dennis wrote re: Sir, please put the Blackberry away
on 11-01-2007 3:26 PM

I have one of those bluetooth headsets, but never use it because I don't want to be like that, although I may have to because of the laws around here now.  I don't want to have to carry that thing when I would only get a call once or twice a month while driving, and the call usually just lasts 30 seconds or less.

About 8 months ago I won a Treo 750, but haven't used it because I don't really want to be that connected all the time.  My Razr is enough...and a lot smaller..

Anderson Fortaleza wrote re: Sir, please put the Blackberry away
on 11-01-2007 3:50 PM

Amem !

Christopher Bennage wrote re: Sir, please put the Blackberry away
on 11-02-2007 12:12 PM

There was a parent orientation for my daughter's kindergarten, and one of the dads kept checking his Crackberry while the teacher was talking, and then he'd interrupt her a few minutes later to ask what he missed.  It blew my mind.  Does he expect his daughter to pay attention to the teacher?