First Global ALT.NET Decision Makers Assembly

<joke>
Last night we held the first Global ALT.NET Decision Makers Assembly in
Chicago, IL and the following items were discussed and approved.
Pictures and slides from the event will be made available later.

* Chicago, IL was proclaimed World Capital of ALT.NET
just because its location seems highly convenient

* Thread in the mailing list will be moderated and blocked
if it doesn't contain an User Story

* The verbiage of all our communications should not force
readers to use google or another dictionary site more than
once per paragraph. We will start with MTV-level of
vocabulary and go from there.

* As soon as the number of Mac users reaches 50% we will consider
renaming the movement to option.net

* To better reflect our professionalism level, our manifesto
should be written in a DSL format. Bonus points if done
using an LOLCODE internal DSL.

* Members of the Assembly should be awarded lifetime R# licenses

* A monthly meeting will be held to discuss new stereotypes for
the developers "not in the know". The current list is very
limited with only Mort, 501 Developer, Joe Developer, Average
Developer, and "the folks out there".

* Any new members named Scott will require background check

* The ALT.NET Drinking Game has been defined as:
"If someone says Mort, drink one.
If Jeremy D Miller says Mort, drink two."

</joke>

OK, calm down. Just a silly joke :)

But, in all seriousness, there WAS actually an alt.net
gathering last night in the Chicago area. Derik Whittaker,
JDN, and myself got together to talk geek over some beer and
apetizers.
We did end up also talking about alt.net and how we could contribute
positively to get something going here in Chicago.

Anybody else in the area that would be interested in starting
some user group or at least informal events like last night's?

(This posting was taken from the alt.net message board with permission from Sergio, besides, i was there, so I can post this :))

Posted 12-18-2007 11:54 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

Ben Scheirman wrote re: First Global ALT.NET Decision Makers Assembly
on 12-18-2007 2:49 PM

Some of those suggestions are not so bad :P

Steve Evans wrote re: First Global ALT.NET Decision Makers Assembly
on 12-18-2007 11:35 PM

I'm up in the Milwaukee area, but I'm highly interesting in the ALT.NET area.  Unfortunately the only exposure I've had to any of it so far has been what I've picked up from blogs, so I've been stumbling to wrap my head around some of the ideas.  Having people to talk to would be awesome.

Kris wrote re: First Global ALT.NET Decision Makers Assembly
on 01-13-2008 4:01 PM

Hi Derek, where did you guys end up meeting in the Chicago area?  I'd be interested in attending some time.

Kris wrote re: First Global ALT.NET Decision Makers Assembly
on 01-13-2008 4:01 PM

Derik Whittaker wrote re: First Global ALT.NET Decision Makers Assembly
on 01-13-2008 4:55 PM

@Kris,

Send me an email via the contacts links.