[OT] Where Do Automatic Properties go in your class file?

Ok, so I know this is a odd question but I am stumped.

Normally when I have a private instance level variable that is exposed via a property I format my class file as such.

{

..... all instance variables

..... any constructors

..... any public/private/protected methods

..... any properties

}

Now that we have Automatic Properties, there is no need for instance level variables.  So, do I put the property where I would have put the instance level variable?  Or do I put the property where I would normally put it?

I am leaning towards putting the Automatic Property where I would have normally put my properties.  Why, well because if I need to change it from an Automatic Property to a 'standard' property I will not have to move it in my class file (btw, I am anal with my class file organization).

So, I am asking.  Where do they go?

Posted 02-02-2008 8:37 PM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Igor Brejc wrote re: [OT] Where Do Automatic Properties go in your class file?
on 02-03-2008 4:19 AM

I'm using a different philosophy: I put all of the public stuff at the front and (private) instance variables at the end of the class. My thinking is that most people will first want to know what the class offers to the outside world. Only the minority will want to look deeper into the internals. So this is a rough list:

1. public properties

2. public constructors

3. public methods

4. protected ....

5. private ...

6. private fields

It's not perfect and it does have some issues, but at least it doesn't raise a problem with where to put automatic properties - they stay together with non-automatic ones.

sergiopereira wrote re: [OT] Where Do Automatic Properties go in your class file?
on 02-03-2008 11:42 AM

Why would you need to change it from an automatic property syntax back to a complete declaration?

Anyway, I organize my code by functional context rather than language constructs (we had that discussion before,) but in your layout I'd definitely put the properties together with the other properties.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: [OT] Where Do Automatic Properties go in your class file?
on 02-03-2008 12:12 PM

@Sergio,

Why, well you never know.

There have been cases before where you add logic to a setter, getter.  I know it is not always the best, but lets be honest, it happens.

Joey Beninghove wrote re: [OT] Where Do Automatic Properties go in your class file?
on 02-03-2008 11:11 PM

Umm, wherever R# puts them when I hit Ctrl-Alt-Shift + F.  :D

on 02-04-2008 6:34 AM

#Joey,

You and your keyboard shortcuts.  What does Ctrl-Alt-Shift + F do?  It did not do anything with my 3.1 install and with my 2.5 it just 'flickered'.