Today I had a weird issue, I could not log into SQL Management studio because my default database had been deleted (it was no longer needed).  Every time I would try to log in, I would get the following dialog.

image

At first I was kind of stumped, I did not know what to do other then email the DBA to ask him to re-map my account to another database.  Then it hit me, there has to be a way to change databases.  Sure enough there was a way, but it did not work the first time I tried it.

image

When I tried to select a new database from the drop down I got the following error message.

image

Now I was stumped on what to do, then it dawned on me.  Simply type the name of the DB I wanted to connect to in the drop down, don't try to 'select' it.  That worked..... YEA

Hopes this helps someone else in the future.

Posted 02-19-2008 7:01 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

DotNetKicks.com wrote How to Login to SQL Mgt Studio if your default db has been deleted
on 02-19-2008 9:13 AM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Joe Webb wrote re: How to Login to SQL Management Studio if your default database has been deleted.
on 02-19-2008 12:28 PM

Nice tip. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

» Daily Bits - February 20, 2008 Alvin Ashcraft’s Daily Geek Bits: Daily links, development, gadgets and raising rugrats. wrote » Daily Bits - February 20, 2008 Alvin Ashcraft’s Daily Geek Bits: Daily links, development, gadgets and raising rugrats.
on 02-20-2008 11:55 AM

Pingback from  » Daily Bits - February 20, 2008 Alvin Ashcraft’s Daily Geek Bits: Daily links, development, gadgets and raising rugrats.

PartialClass wrote re: How to Login to SQL Management Studio if your default database has been deleted.
on 02-21-2008 2:43 AM

:).. i needed that

Jack Daniels wrote re: How to Login to SQL Management Studio if your default database has been deleted.
on 03-03-2008 12:04 PM

default database name 'master'

Oxycontin vs. oxycodone. wrote Oxycodone oxycontin.
on 11-08-2008 2:55 AM

Oxycodone and oxycontin. Compare oxycontin to oxycodone. Is oxycodone and oxycontin the same.

Antonii wrote re: How to Login to SQL Management Studio if your default database has been deleted.
on 02-26-2009 6:13 AM

Very glad, very quickly found this article. I already was supposed to reinstall my sql server express.