Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue

Today I was trying to put together a simple NAnt build script for a 'play' project of mine.  This build script is real simple, it only calls MSBuild right now.  However, when I was running the script I kept getting the message 'error MSB4126: The specified solution configuration "Debug|HPD" is invalid.'

For the life of me I could not figure out what this was.  I spent time on Google, and could not find anything useful.  What made this more strange was that I could compile via the solution file.

Finally it dawned on me to check my Environmentimage Variables on my  machine.  About half way down was a variable 'Platform' with a value of 'HPD'.  I removed that variable, and rebooted, now all is right with the world again (ok, all is right with the build).

Hope this helps someone else out, cause I know it was pissing me of.

Posted 02-29-2008 1:55 PM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

lordabdul wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 02-29-2008 5:33 PM

Why reboot? You just had to close your command line window and reopen a new one!

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 02-29-2008 5:49 PM

That did not seem to work for me.

Johnny Triantafyllopoulos wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 04-09-2008 6:46 AM

Thanks for the tip, it saved me hours of frustration!

sylvain rodrigue wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 06-05-2008 4:12 PM

You're right ! Many thanks for this tip !

By the way, after having read your post, I found on this page (channel9.msdn.com/.../checkwhetheranenvironmentvariablehasbeenset) that MSBUILD use env var for any property missing.

I also found this page (forums.microsoft.com/.../ShowPost.aspx) where a guy explains that the PLATFORME environment variable is set by an HP utility (see the last post of the page).

Thanks again !

Shane Barrington wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 09-22-2008 10:41 AM

Thanks that tip helped. I opted to notepad my solution file then pick the appropriate platform instead of removing the variable.

Arun Surendran wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 12-02-2008 4:18 AM

My System I had the issue with "Debug|BPC" this post solved me a day ... Thanks

Aruna wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 12-22-2008 11:06 PM

Thanks...this saved me a lot of time

Peter Beams wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 01-26-2009 9:39 AM

Thanks, could have been a nasty one to hunt down without your help!  Was on an HP machine using "Debug|BPC".

MIchael Washington wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 01-30-2009 9:19 AM

Worked for me! I did not have to reboot eaither. I was trying to get Windows Azure Samples to build when trying to run the buildall.cmd script.

Simon Martin wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 02-23-2009 7:24 AM

Superb!

I was starting to struggle with this problem; likewise wasn't finding much on Google - but this was spot on. Didn't work without the reboot, but that's not important and Derik said it needed the reboot.

Am also on an HP machine - wonder why that seems to be important.

Jon wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 09-23-2009 3:37 PM

Wow!  Been scratching my head over this one for a long while.  Thanks for the very useful tip!

Maarten Smits wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 09-25-2009 12:24 AM

Thanks!!!!! You've saved me many hours of utter frustration!

Daniel wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 10-02-2009 11:44 AM

Thanks I removed the variable PLATFORM: BNB and now it works.

Dana wrote re: Nasty MSBuild Error - MSB4126 "Debug|HPD" issue
on 10-13-2009 2:23 PM

Also, my thanks to you!  Unlike your situation, this caused 30 seconds of head-scratching until we found your post.