An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off

I am a frequent Google user (who is not these days). But I don't simply go to Google.com to do my searches, I always go to www.google.com/advanced_search.  I go to this page because it has one nice feature I like, I have the ability to change the number of results on the page from 10 to 100.

Prior to today the advanced search was laid out in a way where I could type in my search results, hit tab, arrow down to 100 and then hit enter.  I could do all of this without the need for a keyboard.  With this layout I was VERY happy.

# of steps with old way

1. Type search value
  2. Hit tab
  3. Hit the 'end' key (takes me to 100 results)
  4. Hit tab
  5. Hit enter
  6. Get search results.

However, today I go to the screen and it has been completely re-arranged.  Sure the features are the same, but now I have to do much more work to get the same results.  With this layout, I am NOT a happy Google user.

# of steps with the new way

1. Type in search value
  2. Hit tab
  3. Hit tab (new field)
  4. Hit tab (new field)
  5. Hit tab (new field)
  6. Hit tab (new field)
  7. Hit the 'end' key (takes me to 100 results)
  8. Hit tab (cannot hit enter key because we are on a combo box)
  9. Hit tab (cannot hit enter key because we are on a combo box)
  10. Hit enter
  11. Get search results

Basically the new layout will cause me 5 more keyboard steps, and tons more time.  Sure i could just use the mouse, but that goes against my core beliefs.  This is all due to a simple UI layout change.

If anyone from Google is out there, please put the screen back, this new layout sucks.

Here is the screen I see:
Google

Posted 03-07-2008 7:09 AM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Damien Guard wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 9:38 AM

Some ideas...

1. Use Google.co.uk - it has the old UI at the moment

2. Write your own optimized front-end web page and put it wherever you want and have it submit to Google (simple and effective)

3. Use GreaseMonkey to change the layout

[)amien

Steven Rigney wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 10:01 AM

I wonder if they are testing something.  The original layout is still there for me.

Wayne wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 10:15 AM

You can also just set your preferences for 100 results.

www.google.com/preferences

If you're logged into a Google account, it saves it to your profile.  If not, it saves it as long as you keep the cookie.

Steve wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 10:17 AM

hmm, I just type in the results, hit tab once and it is on the # of results drop down, seems easier now than what you are saying. I am using firefox

Joey Beninghove wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 11:07 AM

Tip from a SlickRun junkie:

Here is how I do all of my googling:

Win + Q > "g joeydotnet"

This automatically opens up a new FF tab for me with the results.

Why is this powerful?  'Cause my "g" slickrun keyword is set up as follows...

URL: www.google.com/search$W$&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&ft=i&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

1. Notice the $W$ which plugs in whatever you type after the "g"

2. Notice the num=100 which gives me back the first 100 results

Anyway, I find this much faster than opening the browser, tabbing to the google toolbar and searching.

Jakob Andersen wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 1:07 PM

Couldn't help laugh a bit about this:

"....hit tab, arrow down to 100 and then hit enter.  I could do all of this without the need for a keyboard."

Fancy stuff having Tab, Arrow down and Enter but not on your keyboard, is it a new type of mouse :-)

Derik Whittaker wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 1:52 PM

@Jacob

I think you are miss my point.  I hate using the mouse.

Sergio Pereira wrote re: An example of how changing a UI can piss people (me) off
on 03-07-2008 4:19 PM

@Derik, read Jakob's comment again. This time slowly and calm. I was about to make the same comment myself ;)

on 03-07-2008 4:24 PM

@Jacob & Sergio,

HEHE.  I did misread that.

That is funny.