ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up

I have been a loyal and faithful user of ReSharper for the past few years, and am generally happy with the product.  But this 4.0 EAP is starting to kill our relationship.

I know that you are still in 'beta' but come one, what is taking so damn long. Visual Studio 2008 have been in full production now for 5+ months, not to mention the amount of time it was in beta. Again, what is taking so damn long.

I know and understand that this is not a simple application but really, does  every build have to hurt me more then the previous one?  It seems to me that every day I have more and more issues with you.  A tool should be painless to use, not painful.  I have now reverted back to build 767 as it is the most stable one for me.

I love the fact that have put it all on the line with the 'open beta' and I know it will make you better because of it, but I just don't know how much longer I can wait.

Please, please, please hurry up and go live with the real version....

**** LET THE FLAMES BEGIN ****

Posted 04-22-2008 9:01 AM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Alan wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 10:30 AM

It's painful.  And why does it suggest that you use implicitly typed variable for everything local?

Oh and I'm targeting 2.0 framework in one project and it suggest c# 3.0 refactorings everywhere.  Nice.

I love Resharper but someone needs to put boot to ass and get it back on track.

Simone wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 10:56 AM

I'm getting tons of OutOfMemoryException, everytime I type a { or } in javascript it takes forever to parse the page.

I understand that R#4 is still a nightly build... I guess they should do some serious refactoring to make the application less memory hungry

I think I'll go back a few "works here" version..

Also, they stopped answering on the EAP forum as well... what's happening out there?

DotNetKicks.com wrote ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 10:57 AM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Peter Ritchie wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 11:13 AM

Indeed, many exceptions in the latest build.

Hey guys, don't release a build if you don't run some sort of validation on it.

Bryan wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 11:18 AM

I haven't tried the beta yet, I don't like living on the bleeding edge.  I do love Resharper.  It's way better than the next closest offering from DevExpress which seriously drags my system down to the point it's unusable.  Anyway, as far as wanting the Resharper folks to hurry...  When it comes to software, you can have only two of these three things:  Quick, Cheap, Good.  If it's quick and good it wont be cheap, if it's cheap and good it wont be quick, etc.  Complaining about the quality of a beta product is useless.  It's beta people.   If it's not good enough for ya, be patient and wait for the release version.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 11:20 AM

Actually as of now, i have removed R# 4.0 from my laptop and trying CodeRush

on 04-22-2008 11:32 AM

Bryan,

The thing with using 4.0 is I am developing for the 3.5 framework and it is PAINFUL to not have a nice tool to use.

Ed wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 11:33 AM

Alan,

Every language change in C# 3.0, except for Linq and expression trees, can be used in a 2.0 project.

If you are using VS 2008, then your project files are already unreadable from 2005, so it should suggest the 3.0 language enhancements that are compatible with the 2.0 runtime.

Dustin Campbell wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 11:46 AM

I think it's a real shame. As a lead dev on CodeRush and Refactor from DevExpress, I'm obviously biased. However, I think Resharper is a really great tool, and JetBrains has done their customer base a disservice. It wasn't like the release of VS 2008 caught JetBrains by surprise. Everybody knew when it was coming, and after 5 months, it's clear that they weren't even close to ready.

I've spoken with several alpha developers that are actually staying away from LINQ because Resharper isn't there yet. IOW, allowing the tool to direct their technology choices. Very sad.

Sean wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 11:49 AM

It is taking an unusually long time for them to finish this one off.

That being said, it is an EAP release, so like you stated above, if you are willing to brave an EAP I think there is little room for complaints =)

Not to say I don't enjoy reading your complaints, but you get my point.

on 04-22-2008 11:52 AM

@Dustin,

Could you contact me (click the Contact Link above).  I would like to chat with you.

Simone wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 11:55 AM

I don't think I'll move away from R# because of pre-alpha version that are not working very well...

But if you (jetbrains) decided to jump in the EAP game, you have to understand that you have to provide feedback to the users that are helping you shape your product for free... you cannot just ignore the feedback.

Hakon wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 1:30 PM

It is true that is annoying that it isn't release yet but if you want to be on the bleeding edge and run R# 4 then understand that this is their own nightly builds - it is not even EAP builds as we know and love them :-)

I couldn't live without R# 4 - even in its current state...

Josh wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 1:51 PM

I'd be interested to hear what is lacking in coderush that would prevent people using resharper 4 EAP to make the switch.....

superjason wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 2:12 PM

Bryan, I'll take quick and good please!

Granville Barnett wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 4:57 PM

Quite frankly it's a bit of a joke. I know they had to rewrite a lot (thats the picture I got from the blogs etc) to support the new features - but this wasn't a surprise, I can't remember how long some form of the C# 3 and VB 9 specs have been out (in some form or another - certainly since VS 2008 Beta 1).

I can't imagine me getting Resharper 5 if it is the same again.

Also (yes I know its still a pre-beta) R# 4 is slow as hell on startup and my machine isn't exactly slow. I was seriously considering removing it yesterday as it is really annoying me now, takes 30 seconds to spin up when I open a project - touches non C# projects as well (e.g. C++? can't seem to turn it off!!!).

Not a happy bunny.

Kyle Baley wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 5:07 PM

I don't think the complaint is that it's beta software, it's the fact that it's *still* in beta almost half a year after VS2008 has been released. Which might be understandable had VS2008 not been available in beta itself for so long. There's no reason they couldn't have had a version, *any* version ready right off the bat when VS2008 came out.

Justin Etheredge wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 7:44 PM

I agree that this has little to do with the quality of the builds, and more to do with the quality of the builds almost 6 months after VS2008 was released. If the EAP's were at this point on release, then there would be nothing to complain about.

On a side note, I too have reverted to version 767, since any of the later versions just crash constantly.

EricTN wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 7:47 PM

JetBrain's bug tracker for their ongoing development of ReSharper 4.0, www.jetbrains.net/.../11304, currently states that "3594 of 5443 issues have been resolved".  1635 issues are currently open, of which 228 are Major, 90 are Critical and 29 are Blocker.  From this I glean the following: (a) The RTM version won't be out very soon, and (b) only an *idiot* would want them to just declare it "done" and put it out there right now.   I'm currently using 3.1 and ignoring incorrect warnings - the one main thing that's been stinging me is crashes when editing CSS.  Otherwise I'm still getting lots of benefit while I wait...............

on 04-22-2008 7:55 PM

@EricTN

WOW.  I have not looked at their bug list in a while, but that is a TON.

And I dont think ANYONE is asking the cut and run now.  We just would like the stuff to be getting better, not worse.

Also, please let everyone understand.  Software is NOT easy, I know that, everyone here knows that.  What they are doing by opening this up to the masses is the RIGHT thing to do.  But the quality should be going up, not down.

Seth Petry-Johnson wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 9:00 PM

I'm a CodeRush/RefactorPro user myself, simply because that's what my organization purchased before I was hired. I love it and think it's a great product, but I'm constantly reading about people that love Resharper.

Like Josh, I'm curious: what does Resharper do that the DevExpress offerings do not?

on 04-22-2008 9:05 PM

@Seth,

From my 4-6 hours of using Refactor!/Code Rush about the only 2 things I noticed it did NOT do that R# did was

1) Built in test running for my unit tests -- this is HUGE for me

2) Red, Yellow, Green for my code -- this shows u if you code is good, ok, or broken.

I LOVE the UI stuff the Refactor!/Code Rush do.  Mark and his team have done a great job.

Paul wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-22-2008 10:07 PM

I've gone back to 3.1, even for targeting 3.5 framework. 4.0 was crashing too much and the final nail was when my colleagues VS installation became unusable (couldn't even uninstall) after installing R#4.0.

Kevin Isom wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-23-2008 12:12 AM

Derik, the unit test runner is available as a separate download from jetbrains, Resharper is not required.

wewefgweg wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-23-2008 3:55 AM

serves you all right for using code crutches like this. Learn how to code and use the IDE properly and you dont need them.

Nikola Malovic wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-23-2008 3:57 AM

I am using the R# 755 build without any major problems (for almost a month) on a fairly big code base

You can turn on red/gring/yellow in CodeRush too.. Check out the Options\Paining\CodeIssues (If I remember well that was the option)

Przemyslaw Wlodarczak wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-23-2008 5:52 AM

If you want to use Code Issues in CodeRush, obtain latest daily build from Mark's team. Last official one was released in december 2007 and this feature is VERY buggy in those release (I think it is still beta feature).

on 04-23-2008 6:27 AM

@Kevin,

Sadly UnitRunner is no longer available for download.  I did have a version, but it does NOT work with VS2008...:(

on 04-23-2008 9:21 AM

@Nikola, @Przemyslaw:

Yes, the Code Issues are working better in newer builds (gearing up for a new release soon!), but they lack the maturity of Resharper's. However, once this is rock solid, we'll be adding code issues as an alarming rate.

Jon von Gillern wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-23-2008 9:41 AM

I think the UI for RefactorPro/CodeRush completely annihilates R#. Its biggest drawback is that it doesn't do real time code analysis, but they're working on it! Right now the 3.0.5 version has a "Code Issues" option, but it only shows things like unused variables and non-existent method calls.But they're working on expanding those features.

David Hayden - Florida .NET Developer - C# and SQL Server wrote ReSharper vs. CodeRush and Refactor! Pro Is Always an Interesting Discussion
on 04-23-2008 1:11 PM

I am curious as to who will release a new version first, the upcoming Code Analysis features that will be released from Developer Express, and the reaction of the .NET Developer Community.

Abdu wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-24-2008 12:58 AM

- When you mention latest build, do you mean latest "working here" build or latest build?

- R# 4 is beta so don't be complaining about its stability. Yes it's taking a long time but so is Coderush's code issues. This might be a complex piece of software to develop. What's wrong with using R# 3.1 or because it doesn't support .NET 3.5?

- CodeRush is also taking FOREVER to get their code issues working. As of just two weeks, this feature is just useless. I have mentioned this in their forum. community.devexpress.com/.../63936.aspx. No comment from them.

- DevExpress has been promising the code issues feature for years so I can tell you that R# is way ahead in the code analysis field.

- Look at Jetbrain's bug tracker and you'll find they are fixing issues every day and making this visible to everyone. I don't think DevExpress is doing the same.

- I get the feeling DevExpress makes a lot of promises and rushes to put products in the market with many missing features. They released their html editor recently and it's a JOKE. It doesn't even support inserting tables and form elements. Every html editor in the market does this basic thing. As a developer, I will be ashamed to release a skeleton product like that. Give me one reason why I should purchase such a product. Telerik's and Cutesoft's similar products are years ahead in feature base.

- If you're big into refactoring, look at Refactor. Personally I use fewer than 10. I love R#'s code analysis.

on 04-24-2008 6:07 AM

@Abdu,

No, I ONLY use the 'working here' releases.

And yes it is still a beta, but since it is publicly released I do have a right to complain about it.  But what you are missing is that I (and others) were NOT complaining about it a few weeks ago.  But in the past few weeks their builds have been getting progressively worse.

Rob Prouse wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-24-2008 8:08 AM

I think you are expecting too much from the nightly builds. You call it EAP, but they haven't tagged any of these releases as EAP ready yet. Check the legend on the EAP page. Once they determine a build stable enough for general consumption, they mark it as an EAP build and post it on their EAP page.

You are complaining about bugs in pre-alpha software. You should be happy that they even release their nightly builds. Most companies wouldn't let you touch alpha code just in case it gives you a bad impression like this seems to have done for you.

If people continue to complain like this, fewer companies will give us the opportunity to test their nightly builds.

on 04-24-2008 8:19 AM

@Rob,

Please read this line again.....

'I love the fact that have put it all on the line with the 'open beta' and I know it will make you better because of it'

Ahmed Chaudhary wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-24-2008 10:21 AM

I have been using build 767 without any major issues for a while now and I am very happy with it. I occasionally have to restart visual studio but thats about it.

Abdu wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-24-2008 11:27 AM

"The simple fact is this.  Regardless of state or version.  If something is released to the wild the company must EXPECT both complaints and complements."

They are expecting this. You can post your complaints in their forum. Did you do that? Did you contact them directly?

If you're complaining in your own blog only, that's not good enough.

What do you suggest they should do.. hire more developers?

Oren wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-27-2008 10:40 AM

To respond to two previous posters about CodeRush vs. R#, there are a couple of main reasons why after having used both I currently prefer R#:

1) Real-time code analysis.  Having squiggles and the error-bar along side is outstanding.  Also having dead/redundant code greyed out is extremely helpful.

2) Some of the navigation features are better.  While CR now has some of the features R# has, being able to Ctrl+T to get a type is easier than the current CR shortcut to do the same.

3) This is "easy" but I use it all the time -- Ctrl-clicking variables/types/methods in code to go to declaration.  It's much easier than right-clicking and selecting the option.  It's like turning your code into a huge hyperlinked thing.  I say "easy" since the Ctrl-click is really just calling VS's built-in Go to Declaration function.  CR -- please add this?

3) Code reformatting.  R#'s has a ton of granularity when it comes to code formatting.  There's also a cleanup function that allows me to "var-ify" code, turn stuff into auto-properties, reformat, etc.

4) XAML.  Does CR's refactoring support symbols in Xaml yet?

Lastly, some of the CR interface seems too "in your face".  The dialog that comes up in the lower-right of the screen is annoying...

All that said, if CR has a version that addresses these, then I'm all for trying it out again.

Head.SmackOnTable(); » Blog Archive » Refactoring Made Easy with Resharper 4.0 wrote Head.SmackOnTable(); » Blog Archive » Refactoring Made Easy with Resharper 4.0
on 04-27-2008 8:54 PM

Pingback from  Head.SmackOnTable();  » Blog Archive   » Refactoring Made Easy with Resharper 4.0

Casey wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 04-28-2008 12:48 PM

You must be unlucky, I have 4 machines all on R#4 of some build or other (I update now and then, but not religiously) ... and rarely have any problems these days ... I did find one reproducable bug last week, but it was so minor it wasn;t a problem ...

EricTN wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 05-02-2008 7:58 PM

So, how is that RTM coming, you ask?  Ok, you didn't, but I'm here to depress you anyway!!  Let's review the bug tracker stats from before, then compare them to today!

Resharper 4.0 Issues as of 2007-04-22

------------------------------------------------------

total: 5443     resolved: 3594

open: 1635

major 228, critical 90, BLOCKER 29

Resharper 4.0 Issues as of 2007-05-02

------------------------------------------------------

total: 5859 (+416 from 04/22)  resolved: 3925 (+331)

currently open: 1720 (+85)

237 Major, 99 Critical, 47 Blocker

So, let's check those figures out.  They've been hard at work and have knocked out 331 bugs.  But those little bug OPENERS (bastards) have been busier!!!  The open issues count has actually INCREASED by 85, and instead of 29 blockers, we now are delighted to note there are 47!!

That RTM will be out REAL SOON NOW

EricTN wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 05-02-2008 8:06 PM

ok, I meant 2008 (ooops) and sorry 'bout all the blank lines (sometimes pasting in text isn't such a good idea)... anyway......

Derik Whittaker wrote ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-05-2008 8:31 AM

In case you did not read one of my past posts where I threatened to break up with R# 4.0 I have moved

Extract ephedrine. wrote Ephedrine hcl michigan.
on 07-30-2008 12:49 AM

Ephedrine. Ephedrine products. Ephedrine withdrawn. Addicted to ephedrine. Ephedrine side effects. Ephedrine hcl. Ephedrine faq. Ephedrine graphs. Baseball player dies from ephedrine.

Nick wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 08-05-2008 9:28 AM

yeah I get the Out of memory exceptions and tech support told me its my fault? wtf?

Nick wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 08-05-2008 9:30 AM

By the way people my bad If oyu get out of memory exceptions go here www.jetbrains.net/.../OutOfMemoryException+F

ix

Evert Wiesenekker wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up
on 12-12-2008 5:35 AM

A little late reaction:

Well I used Devexpress Refactor in the past and now I am a happy Resharper 4.1 user. The reason is they have a good shortcut key support (and you can easily get a hardcopy of the shortcut keys which you can stick below your monitor. Try this with Devexpress!) and somehow there refactoring advises feel more comfortable. I always got very annoyed with Devexpress popup's. Besides I always got the feeling Devexpress is slower.

Pharma799 wrote re: ReSharper 4.0, I love you but it may be time we break up