Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???

What are you doing to keep your skills current?

• Do you learn new technologies?
  • Do you learn new tools?
  • Do you learn new languages?

If you did not answer yes to at least 1 of the 3 questions above, I have one last question to ask.  What are you doing to not become a Dinosaur?

In my opinion developers today have more at stake then ever before.

• Technology is changing at the speed of light
  • Business demands are getting larger and more complicated
  • Technology is getting more complicated (which is counter to its intent)

Over the past few months I have spoken to a few different developers that have become 'complacient' in what they do.  They have no interest in learn a new language (Ruby, Java, F#, etc) or even learning to use new frameworks (RoR, MonoRail, MVC, NHibernate, etc) because they are happy with what they have.  This is fine and this is dandy, but the day will come that they will regret this decision.

Let me tell you a little store.

Long, long ago there was a developer that was writing his applications in his language of choice, COBOL.  This guy was as happy as a clam, he had no worries, no issues.  The language did what he need and he could make it do all sorts of cool stuff.  And most importantly he felt comfortable with his language of choice.

Then one day someone created a newer, hipper language (insert any OO based language here) and suddenly it became all the rage.  Now the COBOL developer thought, should I invest the time effort to learn this new language, or should I stick with COBOL.  In the end he decided he liked COBOL, cause he was happy and content.  He also did not buy into all the press surrounding that language.  He figured that it is just a passing fad.  Now he may have been right, but where he made a mistake was he did not learn.

Now lets fast forward to today.  In the past few years there have many new languages and frameworks/toolsets have been released.  They all have their pros and cons and some will die off and become extent.  But the ones that live on may someday push your language out of the way.  If you don't at least have a working knowledge of what they bring to the table, what makes you think will will not be like our COBOL developer from our story?

So, let me ask you.... What are YOU doing to not become a Dinosaur?

BTW, before you ask what I am doing, let me tell you.  I am currently learning Ruby, I am playing with IronRuby (I know, not much different the Ruby).  I plan on playing with F# to become familiar with what a Functional language can do for me.  I started learning the MS MVC framework and will be playing RoR (Ruby on Rails) to see where that is going.  I did some MOSS work a while back.  I am branching out and getting my hands on as many different tools/frameworks as possible (NHibernate, Linq2Sql, TypeMock, etc, etc, etc).  I have not intention of becoming a master of any of these, but I intend on becoming knowledgeable enough to know what they offer and what they do not.

Posted 04-24-2008 5:20 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

James Gregory wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 7:43 AM

Personally, I think the focus has been placed too heavily (in general, not specifically by you) on tooling and technologies. I'd rather take someone who has good knowledge of patterns and principals, over someone who's up to scratch on the latest Microsoft jingle.

Learning languages is a good thing, but as long as they're sufficiently different to what you currently know. Just learning one with a slightly different syntax isn't going to have as much benefit as jumping to functional, or dynamic.

If you already have a good principal basis, then tools/technologies are a good way to keep fresh, but I don't think they're that important.

sergiopereira wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 8:09 AM

Great advice. I also agree with James' comment regarding the choice of language. There's much more value for a C# developer to learn something like Ruby, Erlang, F#, than learning a language that is too close like Java and VB.NET (well, if you get my idea of "close").

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 8:20 AM

@James,

I agree with your take on Patterns/Principles.  I should have mentioned something about in the post.

I am going to make the assumption that if someone is NOT willing to try a new language/tool they are NOT going to take the time to learn new patterns or principles.

PartialClass wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 9:51 AM

But @derik dont you think you are going to become "master of none and jack of all" by tasing all such frameworks etc.

I think one shud learn 2 new things and has command on 1 other thing , at a time.

dont you think you are doing too much? and also its hard to remember once you are not in practise, of new tools and techs.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 9:57 AM

@PartialClass

My goal is to be a 'Master of None, jack of all'.  It allows me to be flexible and adaptive.  As a consultant I may be on a Winforms project today, and a Ruby project tomorrow.

But to be honest, I do master a few things along the way.  But that is not out of desire, but rather out of necessity.  But keeping my eye on tomorrow I can better prepare myself against the winds of change.

As Ayende once had as his tag line - Specialization is for insects.

Mike wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 10:56 AM

I think the big thing here is to be out there learning.  Becoming "Master" of any technology tends to get you where the COBOL programmer in the story was, enamored with one technology and thinking that it's all you'll need.

Plus once you become a "Master" of a tool (or pattern), you tend to find ways to use it instead of finding the right tool for the job.  If you are familiar with a lot of different things, you can dig into it more once you've found an user for it, instead of learning a tool and searching for a way to use it.

Alan Smith wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 11:19 AM

I personally don't think the specific programming language is important but employers do.

The fact is knowing designs patterns and principles is not very important to employers.  But the language is, hence they mention the language in the job specification.

I have spent some time after leaving university understanding design patterns and principles but when going for job interviews I seem to have to know what API's do (that's generally the type of questions you would get asked).

Anyway learning Java syntax and API's so I can get out of this testers job.

I think that junior developers are lucky to get the jobs - simply because they know the syntax.

What the difference between a 32bit and 64bit machine?  Whats 13 decimal as a hexadecimal representation?

If you don't know the answers to these basic q' how did you become a developer.   I am sure that anyone reading this post knows this but its for other developers out there.

DotNetKicks.com wrote Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 2:48 PM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Eber Irigoyen wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 2:57 PM

you missed the part of the story where the guy still makes a lot of money maintaining legacy systems written in COBOL

anyway... keeping up with C# alone is hard, most developers don't know how to use all the features of C# 2.0 yet

I take a similar approach like you, I get myself familiar without getting too deep

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-24-2008 3:01 PM

@Eber,

U are right, they do make a ton.  I worked in a RPG shop a while back and those guys made about as much as the top .net guys.

BUT they had to do RPG all day.. .No Thanks

jdn wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-25-2008 7:59 PM

If I didn't already know you, I'd say you have way too much free-time (which learning a new language, unless part of paid employment, takes much of).

I think it would be more important to learn how to do different things in the same language, than just learn a new language.

Example:  I can learn how to do data access in ruby, c#, java, etc.  or I can learn how to do, e.g. Code Security in my language of choice.

Think the latter is better.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-25-2008 8:02 PM

@JDN,

That would work out great as well.  The point is you are still learning.  A TON of people simply stop learning because they are content.

Excellent point though.

Some.Net(Guy) wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-25-2008 8:53 PM

Learning is good, agreed. I will always be an advocate of learning no matter what.  The problem is, as JDN said, when do you find the time?  If my job is to run my website that I built myself in VB.NET, what benefit do I get from taking time out of my day to learn, say, F#, a language I will probably never use? Yeah, it's nice to say that I know another language, but really, have I just wasted so many hours of my time?

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-25-2008 9:29 PM

@Some.Net Guy

Sorry, but you simply have to make time.  I know that sounds like i am being a smart ass, but I am not.  Finding time is hard i admit.  But if you do not, you will pay the price.

To be blunt, laziness is NOT an excuse to let your skill degrade.

FYI.  Do not let JDN fool you.  He is always looking outside and learning.  He just likes to 'play the other side' of things. :)

Bob Jones wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-25-2008 10:40 PM

That COBOL Dude retired a multi-millionaire on 01/01/2000.

A student of many is a master of none.

It is better to be a content specialist in one area and provide quality work in that area than be lost in multiple different technologies - you will probaly earn more too.

Language isn't important, knowledge of frameworks is. I wouldn't employ a java progammer to write .NET code even if he is a good programmer (and Visa Versa). I would employ a c# programmer to write vb.net code.

It is really hard to find good programmers now days. Generalists are less likely to get paid as much as specialists simply because they don't have enough knowledge in a single area.

Niki wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-26-2008 5:47 AM

Some.NET(Guy) said: "what benefit do I get from taking time out of my day to learn, say, F#, a language I will probably never use? Yeah, it's nice to say that I know another language, but really, have I just wasted so many hours of my time?"

The benefit is that you learn new ways to look at problems, new programming concepts and new patterns that you can often use in your favourite language. Interested in keeping a server running 24/7 for years, with hot code updates? Have a look at Erlang, they're doing this, maybe you can learn something from them. Want to use Linq most effectively? Have a look at F# and functional programming, that's where Linq came from, they've already developed good coding practices and patterns for that, you can probably use that.

Also, you often have to choose what tool to use for a particular job (sometimes this choice is made for you, but you can often choose for smaller sub-problems like e.g. log-file-scraping). How do you think you'll be able to pick the best tool if you know only one?

beefarino wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-26-2008 12:25 PM

There's more to avoiding extinction than staying abreast of the latest technological trends.  The *reason* the COBOL programmer became a dinosaur was that he stopped adding value to his employer.  The fact that it was because he wasn't a language hipster may or may not have contributed to this.  Maybe he was just an @$$ and difficult to work with.  Where I live there are still COBOL jobs seeking bodies, so they're still relevant and making money.

Learning languages keeps you sharp, but frankly you should get to a point where a new language becomes a "do you have an evening" exercise.  The value in a software engineer is in their ability to apply the craft to solve real problems.  For example, a genetic engineer with a little COBOL knowledge is going to be a whole lot more valuable to a genome sequencing project than a cutting-edge software engineer who can't spell GATC.

Niki wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-26-2008 1:54 PM

@beefarino:

There are two ways to learn a new language. One is best described as "a fortran programmer can program fortran in any language" - i.e. you learn the syntax of the new language, and then write the same programs you would have written in any other language in that new syntax. This makes learning a new language a "do you have an evening" exercise. Unfortunately, you don't learn much through that kind of exercise.

The other way to learn a new language includes learning, practicing and reflecting about the common idioms of the new language - things like object-orientation (Java), pure functional semantics (Haskell), lightweight processes (Erlang), dynamic typing (Python), syntactic macros (Lisp), generic programming (C++ templates) to name just a few. Unfortunately, learning these is a lot harder than learning a new syntax or learning a new framework. But that's the kind of thing that will help you be more productive in your later life as a programmer, no matter what language you're actually using.

beefarino wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-26-2008 3:40 PM

@Niki:

Excellent points.

But most of the "hard parts" you describe aren't really language features, they're engineering or design principles.  You can understand the principle without learning the language.  For example, you can write object-oriented code in C, it just looks a lot different than C++ or Java  or C# because there are no language features directly supporting it.  Dynamic typing is taken for granted in many languages today, but the same effect can be achieved in, say, C with a lot of work.

And in that sense I wholly agree with you - learning the practices is hard, it requires you to drink the kool aid and commit yourself; my point was that  once you've made that choice, learning the languages should come pretty easy.

Niki wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-26-2008 4:24 PM

@beefarino:

It seems that when I speak of "learning a language", I mean learning the syntax and the programming style of the language, while you mean only learning the syntax. So that's just a philosophical disagreement about words.

I do think however, that learning ideoms like purely functional programming, higher-order functions or syntactic macros is easier when you learn them *through*  a language that enforces them or makes them easier. You could probably learn most of these things "the hard way" in C or assembler, but that's far harder, and I have rarely seen a programmer learn the concepts mentioned above that way. A language like Haskell or Lisp can give you a far cleaner vision of what these ideoms look like, which then makes it easier to translate them into [insert favourite language here]. That's my experience, at any rate. (And the reason why I learn new languages from time to time)

Dan wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 04-27-2008 4:24 AM

I'm a C# developer, now I was considering learning Cobol (joke). I'm bewildered by how much there is to learn. So i'm going shallow in various areas. But looking at

*Erlang

*F#

*MVC Framework <-- Loving this

*WCF

*NHibernate

*Nant

Steve wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 05-09-2008 9:19 PM

does learning javascript or php count?

The Links Have Built Up…Link Dump Time! « IS Department wrote The Links Have Built Up&#8230;Link Dump Time! &laquo; IS Department
on 06-20-2008 12:52 AM

Pingback from  The Links Have Built Up&#8230;Link Dump Time! &laquo; IS Department

Kamran Shahid wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 08-07-2008 5:15 AM

100% Agreed

Dave Schinkel wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 09-08-2008 10:50 AM

Also a lot of environments (some I've actually seen in the past) do not support learning new languages or technologies in terms of good OOP, ORM, and best practices.

For example, a lot of mom & pop or even huge family owned organizations typically buy out all their software (CRM, use Sharepoint for everything, etc.) instead of actually building some solid applications using a true n-layered architecture.  If you come from shops who have successfully used ORM, then you know that even though it can take a bit more time, it's much more extensible and maintainable.

With that, if you're not in an environment which allows you to dig into a good .NET solution, and you're constantly having to code in 3rd party plug-in type environments, it's going to slow you down in this area and learning true OOP.

So I tend to think that if you really want to code a lot of OOP, do not look to work at places who are against custom code or don't know any better than to just buy everything and have the developer "maintain" it.  You run into business limitations and developer limitations when you place all your cards and money in all these 3rd party software packages.

Granted I did not say you can't use and should not use SOME packages.  But you should not be going against the grain by creating solid quality n-layered architecture from scratch as well.

So with that, if your work environment doesn't facilitate learning new things (e.g. I can't use .NET 3.5 because the "3rd party package" would have to be upgraded and that would never happen in the next 5 years) then you're kinda screwed in developing your skillset.

And one could argue fine, then you should do it at home.  For me, it's not that easy to find time to code LINQ at night when my kid is crying all night.  Granted anytimeI find time I do but organizations also stunt their employee's development in many cases and I've been there early in my career and learned not to work in environments which are against doing any sort of custom code and environments which do not do n-layers in their architecture.

Dave Schinkel wrote re: Are you going the way of the Dinosaur???
on 09-08-2008 10:52 AM

>>>Sorry, but you simply have to make time.

This is one Derik I do not see eye to eye on and you know it.

making time is relative to what is going on in your life.