ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results

In case you did not read one of my past posts where I threatened to break up with R# 4.0 I have moved away from using ReSharper for the time being.  Now just to clear something up, I was still using ReSharper 3.1 with any VS 2005 work.  I just stopped using it for vs 2008, but now I am back

During my time away from R#, I made the switch to CodeRush/Refactor! and the great guys over at DevExpress were gracious enough to provide me a license so I could do a solid comparison.

In this corner we have ReSharper 4.0 EAP

Pros

• The built in UnitTest running is a beautiful thing.  I feel naked when I do not have this feature.
  • The built in Code Analysis (red, yellow, green) is very mature and does exactly what I want
  • Kick ass code completion/formatting rules.

Cons

• Crashes all the damn time
  • Each nightly build was appearing to be worse then the one before it
  • Memory hog
  • The UI is a bit clunky and sometimes non-intuitive (compared to CodeRush)
  • Still does not support .Net 3.5 syntax for the most part (Linq and Lambda's)

In this corner we have CodeRush/DevExpress!

Pros

• The UI is super slick and ultra polished.
  • The way that tool 'learns' from your usage is great

Cons

• No built in UnitTest Runner.  I was using TD.Net to get the same result, but that is not as nice as R#'s
  • The Code Analysis is not as mature.  I am told that is priority #1 for the team, so looking for great things in the future.
  • Does not have any built in code completing/formatting.  Have to use the VS IDE rules.

So, who won the smackdown????? Both of them won.

Both tools have some great features along with some draw backs.  What I have finally decided to do was use them both, well kinda.  I have removed Refactor! as it and R# do NOT play nice together, but have left on Code Rush.  In order to get CodeRush and R# to work well you do need to make configuration changes, but once you have done that the 2 tools work real nice together.

For the time being I am going to stick to this dual prong approach because I feel that R# just gets me more (they better understand how I like to code).  However, when the next release of Refactor! comes out and they have full support for .Net 3.5 I will give them another chance.

Posted 05-05-2008 7:31 AM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Marco wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-05-2008 9:35 AM

What configuration changes did you apply to make CR and R# work together?

Derik Whittaker wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-05-2008 9:42 AM

@Marco

Did the following

1) Turned of all the options under Edit->Auto Complete->Duplicate Line

2) Turn off the Intellassist Setup under Edit->Auto Complete->Intellassist->Setup

There may have been more, will have to look.

Hope this helps.

Joe wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-05-2008 10:16 AM

I found that the two of them together worked pretty well on my smaller to midsize apps, but on larger solutions VS tended to crash a lot (could user either, but not both).

Ilya Ryzhenkov wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-05-2008 11:37 AM

I wonder what features of C# 3.0 you've found to be not supported in latest ReSharper 4 nightly builds?

on 05-05-2008 11:43 AM

@llya,

I am currently using 783 and have not upgraded to the latest in a few weeks during my trials.  If there have been changes since I am out of date.

Jak Charlton wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-05-2008 12:11 PM

I'm still confused about why you are finding R# crashing "all the time" ... I cannot remember the last time it crashed on any build (since first week in EAP) ... what is it telling you is wrong?

And it supports all the C# 3 stuff I use ...

Adrian Banks wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-06-2008 4:59 AM

I agree with Casey. I'm using build 755 (a bit old now) but it has been very stable. I've only had it crash when doing one particular thing, but this was a bug I reported (creating anonymous delegates) and has since been fixed. It does work with C# 3.0, but doesn't always suggest usings. I've found the memory usage better than ReSharper 3.0 as well.

The biggest gripe I have with it is the very slow parsing of XAML when using the WPF designer.

on 05-06-2008 6:09 AM

@Casey & @Adrian

The bulk of my exceptions have come while doing Linq2Sql stuff.  I know some early EAP's did not support linq well, but it did not have to crash my system.

Dew Drop - May 6, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - May 6, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 05-06-2008 9:07 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - May 6, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

DotNetKicks.com wrote Resharper 4.0 vs coderush refactor smack down results
on 05-06-2008 5:38 PM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Chris Brandsma wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-06-2008 6:09 PM

Hey Derik,

I'm using the same build you are and I'm also getting a lot of error.  I can't even generate a property right now without seeing an error.  I'm hoping the next build fixes some of that.

Maybe I'll have to do a clean install (I hope note).

Dmitri wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-07-2008 5:37 AM

If you're comparing a beta of ReSharper 4.0 and there was a tie, it sounds like the final product will be great!

Steve Bohlen wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-07-2008 10:09 PM

"However, when the next release of Refactor! comes out and they have full support for .Net 3.5 I will give them another chance."

Confused by this as I have been a long-time fan of Refactor! over R# since I HATE the R# modal-dialog-style of UI interrupting my code-writing thought process and have been using Refactor! + CodeRush under VS2008(.NET 3.5) since VS 2008 was in beta with great success; what 3.5 support is missing from Refactor!Pro ...?  It seems from my experience that your statement is more appropriate to R#, no...?

on 05-09-2008 10:51 AM

@Steve Bohlen: that is because, as crazy as Mark Miller is, he is a freaking UI genius.

I love R# (built in Unit Test runner), but the UI goodness that is built into CodeRush is amazing.

haha wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 05-25-2008 5:05 AM

it seems like CodeRush and R# should join forces, especially since it sounds like many people use both.

Buying brand name roche valium. wrote No prescription needed for valium.
on 06-28-2008 4:31 AM

Valium during pregnancy. Valium abuse. Abusing valium.

Ivan wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 07-08-2008 9:18 AM

Wow.  Is that all you have to write to get a free license of CodeRush/Refactor?

What a weak comparison.  Sorry, but I was expecting more.

ibrahim dursun wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 07-26-2008 6:06 AM

*  Crashes all the damn time

* Each nightly build was appearing to be worse then the one before it

* Memory hog

* Still does not support .Net 3.5 syntax for the most part (Linq and Lambda's)

I think above cons are eliminated by the release of R# 4.0.

Problems with aldactone. wrote Aldactone.
on 07-30-2008 1:39 AM

Aldactone. Aldactone hirtuism. Aldactone hyperkalemia.

Avandia - what is. wrote Avandia.
on 07-30-2008 8:23 AM

Avandia warning. Avandia.

Lexapro. wrote Lexapro.
on 08-25-2008 2:55 PM

Lexapro. Lexapro wean. Lexapro sleepy.

Ash Tewari wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 02-21-2009 12:45 PM
tewari - ReSharper vs CodeRush + Refactor Pro wrote tewari - ReSharper vs CodeRush + Refactor Pro
on 03-01-2009 2:50 PM

Pingback from  tewari - ReSharper vs CodeRush + Refactor Pro

Pharmf578 wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 07-31-2009 2:23 PM

Very nice site!

ernest wrote re: ReSharper 4.0 vs CodeRush/Refactor! -- Smack Down results
on 08-11-2009 8:19 AM

a currently use build 1279 od R# 4.5 and it still crashes

every day I notice a crash or slowing down my computer

i think version 3 was not so slow