[ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking

A few weeks ago while putting together a screencast series on how to use NUnit (and a basic intro to testing) I got the bright idea to launch a new site.  I wanted to create a site that allows myself (and others in the future) to create, host and share short (about 10 minutes -- hence the name dimecasts.net) screencast's (I call them episodes) on how to do various different things.

I started bouncing this idea of other developers which I trust, and the feedback was awesome so I moved forward with the idea.

So, who is my target audience with these episodes....everyone.  My thoughts are to create episodes that tackle everyday coding issues as well as show how to use various tools (NUnit, Mocking tools, IoC, etc).  I want the episodes to range from 100 level (Intro to XYZ) all the way to 400 level (mastering XYZ) and I want them to be short and to the point.

I am launching DimeCasts.Net with 4 episodes, but have 10 more in post production ready to roll.  I plan on rolling 1-2 a week (depending on my and others schedules) till we run out of ideas.

Here are the 4 initial episodes

Overview on how to use NUnit

This screencast is an introduction to NUnit as well as a brief overview of testing with NUnit.  In this episode you will learn the following:

1. Use the NUnit IDE
  2. Create simple tests with NUnit
  3. Debug a test via the VS IDE

Overview on NUnit's Attributes

In this episode we will learn how to use some of the different attributes that are built into the NUnit testing framework.
The attributes we will review are:

• Test
  • TestFixtureSetup
  • TestFixtureTeardown
  • Setup
  • Teardown
  • Ignore
  • Explicit
  • ExpectedException

Creating tests with NUnit

In this episode we will cover the basics on how to create various unit test using the NUnit testing framework.  We will also review the different Assert helper classes that are part of the testing framework.

Unit testing events with NUnit

In this episode we will cover how to test events that are raised from an object.  We will cover multiple different ways to do this.

Please let me know what you think.  What you like, what you do not, or what you would like to see.

Posted 05-27-2008 8:51 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

sergiopereira wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-27-2008 9:59 AM

This is great Derik. Very well done.

The community at large thanks you for that.

Kyle Baley - The Coding Hillbilly wrote DimeCasts.NET
on 05-27-2008 10:00 AM

Have been waiting for Derik to announce this for a while and it's finally happened. He's launched

Dime Casts is live « If only I were . . . wrote Dime Casts is live « If only I were . . .
on 05-27-2008 10:16 AM

Pingback from  Dime Casts is live « If only I were . . .

Community Blogs wrote DimeCasts.NET
on 05-27-2008 10:23 AM

Derik Whittaker wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-27-2008 10:44 AM

@Kyle Baley,

Yes i am a fraud.  But please forgive me.  I will try real hard next time.

Kirk wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-27-2008 11:46 AM

Your RSS feed doesn't work.  Your content looks promising and I'd like to subsribe.  Thanks!

Derik Whittaker wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-27-2008 11:50 AM

@Kirk,

I am pretty sure that is because the feedburner stuff has not been 'completely' setup.  When i go to my account it tells me that the feed is so new that they are still playing with the bubble wrap.

Please hang with me, will get it working.

Arjan`s World » LINKBLOG for May 27, 2008 wrote Arjan`s World » LINKBLOG for May 27, 2008
on 05-27-2008 4:28 PM

Pingback from  Arjan`s World    » LINKBLOG for May 27, 2008

Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #102 wrote Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #102
on 05-28-2008 2:57 AM

Pingback from  Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock  » The Morning Brew #102

Daniel wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-28-2008 9:50 AM

Well I'm not a huge fan of the name but I think this will be a very useful resource for many developers :)

Daniel

(dimebrain.com)

Derik Whittaker wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-28-2008 9:56 AM

@Daniel,

Can see why u do not like the name....:)

Dew Drop - May 28, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - May 28, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 05-28-2008 11:03 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - May 28, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

DimeCasts.NET | Developer Home wrote DimeCasts.NET | Developer Home
on 05-29-2008 6:01 PM

Pingback from  DimeCasts.NET | Developer Home

Simon wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-30-2008 12:19 PM

What software are you using for your screencasts? I really love the effect where you zoom in on a section of the screen... and it appears to follow you cursor when it skips down to another section of code (during debugging)... or was that just the window scrolling?

Derik Whittaker wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 05-30-2008 12:40 PM

@Simon,

I am using Camtasia for now.

Weekly Link Post 44 « Rhonda Tipton’s WebLog wrote Weekly Link Post 44 « Rhonda Tipton’s WebLog
on 06-01-2008 4:14 PM

Pingback from  Weekly Link Post 44 « Rhonda Tipton’s WebLog

Weekly Links #3 | GrantPalin.com wrote Weekly Links #3 | GrantPalin.com
on 06-01-2008 10:17 PM

Pingback from  Weekly Links #3 | GrantPalin.com

Derek Lakin wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 06-03-2008 6:27 AM

Congrats Derik. I love the idea and have subscribed to the feed. However, the screencasts themselves aren't actually included in the RSS feed, which makes it difficult for the feed reading tools to handle them accordingly.

If you provided an enclosure for each of the screencasts in each post, then we'd be "quids in" :)

For example, take a look at the feed for dnrTV: feeds.feedburner.com/DnrtvZip

Kalpesh wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 06-10-2008 2:21 AM

Derik,

Good work. It helps learn a concept in a small digestable manner. One suggestion though - could you do a series of sessions on how to do TDD?

I mean - NUnit is good & one can learn about attributes/usage from the articles. I have yet to see a moderately complex project done in TDD style on a screencast. Lots of people would benefit from actually seeing these things in action & it might be an informal pair programming session (where you show the screencasts & people can learn from it & suggest refactoring?)

What do you say?

Derik Whittaker wrote re: [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 06-10-2008 6:11 AM

@Kalpesh,

Doing a TDD series was on my list to do.  Look for it in the coming months.  Right now I have about 15 episodes in queue ready to be released and more on the way.

[ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking wrote [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking
on 06-10-2008 8:07 AM

Pingback from  [ANN] Dimecasts.net is Alive and Kicking

Learning with DimeCasts | GrantPalin.com wrote Learning with DimeCasts | GrantPalin.com
on 10-12-2008 4:18 PM