What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?

As a profession we like to throw the term 'Best Practice' around quit a bit.  But what the hell does this term really mean?  Because I know that it does not mean any of the following;

• This way is the only way it will work
  • This is the way that 'every one else' does it
  • This has been proven to work the best
  • .......

No, the term 'Best Practice' does not mean any of the above.  About the only thing the term means is 'I have found that doing XYZ in ABC way works the best for me'.  But just because it works for you, or even works for a group of people that does not mean it is 'Best Practice'.

Lets take a look at a few examples so I can illustrate my point.

Agile is Best Practice

Even though I believe that following Agile techniques (TDD, CI, Iterations, Planning, etc, etc) makes me a more productive developer and allows me to produce better code, I will not go as far as saying that 'Agile is Best Practice' in terms of developing software.   What I will say is that for me, in my situations I have found that writing software in an Agile manner has worked out well for me.

So, you may be asking, what is the difference between saying it is 'Best Practice' and it working out the best for me.  Simple.  I remember being on pure 'Waterfall' based project were we did not have a single test, delivered the product in 'big bang' fashion and we were successful.  The product was released to over 1000 stores over the course of 2 years, with a new release about every 6 months.

Following Patterns is Best Practice

We all know that if your application does not follow a patterns it is doomed to fail, right?  The problem is that this statement is a lie.  Simply following a pattern, or using the latest technique does not guarantee success.  In fact, putting in a pattern or technique in which you are not familiar with can cause massive pain and heartache.

I have been on projects in the past that implemented very little in terms of patterns, or even layering and they were successful, sure they may not have been as extendable or maintainable as they could have been, but we still released the project and it was used

Remember the term 'Best Practice' is a lie meant to make you feel better about yourself and your code..  There is no 'best practice'  there is only what has worked well for some, but just because it worked well for some, does not mean it will work well for you.

[----- Remember to check out DimeCasts.Net -----]

Posted 05-30-2008 8:03 AM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Chad Myers wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 10:07 AM

Not sure I totally agree with you here. You're watering down things quite a bit. For example, I feel pretty comfortable stating that it's 'best practice' to wear a helmet while riding a bike.  Is it the only way? Nah. Are you likely to get in an accident when riding a bike? Nah. But when you DO get into an accident, the stakes are simply too high not to wear a $20 helmet and prevent thousands of dollars in surgery and physical therapy when you get brain damage.

Likewise, what I usually call Best Practices are not the only way to do it. It's not always the fastest, etc. But when the moment of truth comes, I have lots of empirical evidence that shows that these techniques have been the only ones that remained standing when the dust settled.  And I have a number of noted industry experts with many successes under their belts ahead of me who have found this out also (and clued me in).

With bicycle accidents, there's statistical proof, not to mention common sense, that proves that wearing a helmet is a 'best practice'. Unfortunately with software, no one has yet devised a good system for measuring the success of 'best practices' or, consequently, the failure of NOT using them, so that allows some subjectivity which is perhaps what you're lamenting.

The real answer here is, we need to prove with real evidence, not just empirical evidence, that these practices really are 'best'.

Nick wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 10:14 AM

The way I define Best Practice, I often times think its better to be renamed as "Proven Practice".  This is a method/pattern/technique that has been used in other places successfully.  So if you're looking for a way to do "X", instead of re-inventing the wheel, you can re-use this practice.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 10:18 AM

@Chad,

You hit the nail on the head in your statement "no one has yet devised a good system for measuring the success of 'best practices'".  It is because of this fact, that that i totally hate this phrase

If someone could do that, then I would change my assertion that the term best practice (in software development) is mostly a lie.  But sadly there are too many ways to 'skin the cat' when it comes to creating code.

Besides, in this post I am only referring to software developer (our profession).

@NIck,

I like your term 'Proven Practice' because to me that conveys some sort of evidence that this has worked for you in the past.  But again, simply cause it worked for you does not mean it will work for everyone.

jdn wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 10:46 AM

@Chad

"But when the moment of truth comes, I have lots of empirical evidence that shows that these techniques have been the only ones that remained standing when the dust settled."

We've had this conversation before, and I don't believe you have this evidence.  You have a lot of anecdotal evidence (personally experienced and otherwise), but there isn't anything concrete out there that shows this.

Peter Ritchie wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 10:49 AM

I agree, we need to get away from "Best practice" as a term.  I prefer "generally accepted pactice", which gets away from superlatives and the implied "cannot be better".

Guillermo Salas wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 10:50 AM

Both Chad and Nick make excellent counter points, so my goal is not to sound redundant.  With that here are my 2 cents worth:

To ME, best practices is about leveraging the “greater” knowledge/experience of a broader community… the community of developers and software design when it comes to patterns, the community of those dictating and thinking about process when following Agile as a best practice, to address both of your points.

It is all about learning as a community.  I don't know if I entirely agree with the need to "measure" with statistics or other means, as a criteria to define a Best Practice.  It certainly helps to make the point, but some benefits of certain Best Practices are not so black and white.

Granted statements like “it is THE definitive way to do this" are going to be easy targets to kick down one thing or not holds true… one can certainly choose to be *that* stubborn and do as one pleases without choosing to leverage the progress attained by other’s trial and error.

Best Practices Are Crap « Pistalwhipped! wrote Best Practices Are Crap « Pistalwhipped!
on 05-30-2008 11:06 AM

Pingback from  Best Practices Are Crap « Pistalwhipped!

Jak Charlton wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 12:19 PM

There is no one Best Practice, there are many best practices ...  whichever methodology or techniques you use, you should be doing them to industry best practice ... that means, not being sloppy, not cutting corners, and geneally being professional.

Chad Myers wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 2:28 PM

@Derik:

Note that they're called 'best' practices, that doesn't mean that other practices are 'bad'. Shades of gray/levels of success is at play here.

To further clarify my point: I know more about what DOESN'T work than what does. I know a few things that do work in most cases, but I know a TON of things that DO NOT work in any case. I define 'work' as satisfying functional requirements without having to change much in the future as the software changes and adapts to new requirements. Properly decoupled software involves components that may not ever change over the life of the product because they do what they're supposed to do and are isolated enough from the rest of the system that other, major changes do not affect this component.

Most people, from my experience, define 'work' as "I can drag this component onto my form and wire up the on-click event and then ship the product".  Which is great, until 3 weeks later when new requirements come down the pipe and you have to make a bunch of changes and thrash the system to accommodate them because you didn't decouple your design.  To me, that's not 'works'.  You traded huge technical debt for a quick victory and, in almost every case, that's irresponsible and unprofessional. The only time this is acceptable is when you have made the stakeholders fully aware that this quick win will cost them in spades in the not-so-distant future and they make the conscious, full-knowledge decision to incur that debt because some market force is requiring them to do so.

However, from what I have seen and heard from most people, rarely are the stakeholders made properly aware of this trade-off and are blindsided by the bad news when they come later and wish to add a new feature.

If you find that your business is frequently rewriting software and bringing in new teams to do things over and over, you know what I'm talking about. This is, most certainly, NOT a good thing and NOT a best practice.

Arjan`s World » LINKBLOG for May 30, 2008 wrote Arjan`s World » LINKBLOG for May 30, 2008
on 05-30-2008 2:50 PM

Pingback from  Arjan`s World    » LINKBLOG for May 30, 2008

marc wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-30-2008 11:15 PM

I would agree with the author, and make the case that the selection of the appropriate practice or tool should be dependent on the specific context in which it is being considered. Too often in this field we select a practice solely on the basis that a supposedly reputable source defines it as "best" (an appeal to authority). I take issue with any recommendation for a particular practice or tool that is made without consideration of the specific context to which it should be applied, and unfortunately I think this is done entirely too frequently in this industry. We're still in the dark ages of software development, and whatever practices we define as "best" today will probably seem pretty naive to future generations of software developers.

I would recommend that as software developers we do our best to consider the context of our problem, evaluate competing practices and tools that are potentially appropriate to the problem we're solving, and after considering the benefits and drawbacks of each, select one. Someone else's "best" practice is just a another potential option that may or may not be appropriate in your context.

Dew Drop - May 31, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - May 31, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 05-31-2008 8:56 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - May 31, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

JOE wrote re: What the &@$#* is a 'Best Practice' anyway?
on 05-31-2008 11:13 PM

The way I define a best practice, out here in my cube in the middle of corporate America? Easiest question ever.  Anything that came from a demo from Microsoft.

Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #105 wrote Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #105
on 06-02-2008 2:16 AM

Pingback from  Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock  » The Morning Brew #105

What the &@$#* is a ‘Best Practice’ anyway? wrote What the &@$#* is a ‘Best Practice’ anyway?
on 06-02-2008 12:46 PM

Pingback from  What the &@$#* is a ‘Best Practice’ anyway?

Best Practices Are Crap « Code: Impossible wrote Best Practices Are Crap « Code: Impossible
on 11-24-2008 1:16 PM