My Initial Impressions with the new HandleErrorAttribute with MVC Preview 4

As part of my process to upgrade DimeCasts.net to preview 4 I wanted to take advantage of the new HandleErrorAttribute.  Out of the box this looked like something that I would want to use and could use very easily.  However, I quickly realized that this attribute does not cut it for me.

Why does it not work well for me, I will tell you.

1. It is a sealed class which means that I cannot inherit and extend it.  Why would it be sealed?  Note to MVC team.  Avoid sealing classes for 'basic' features.
  2. By default it wants you to put your error page in the Views/Shared and name the page error.aspx.  Now I know there is a way to override this, but it was more painful that I had hoped.
    [MyHandleErrorAttribute(View = "~/Views/[folder]/[page].aspx")]
  3. I was not able it to route to a controller action, only to my view.  I tried to get it to route to my controller action (ok, maybe I was doing something wrong... it is possible) but did not have any luck.  Even when I could get it to display my view correctly it did not invoke the controller action for me.

All this being said, I am NOT going to switch to using this new attribute as my hand rolled one works better in my opinion and is still getting the job done (right tool for the job right :) ).

I must admit, I am a bit sad that this nice, common feature did not work out for me.

If anyone else has had better luck with this please let me know.

[----- Remember to check out DimeCasts.Net -----]

Posted 07-27-2008 4:35 PM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under:

Comments

El Guapo wrote re: My Initial Impressions with the new HandleErrorAttribute with MVC Preview 4
on 07-27-2008 8:18 PM

Just guessing, but I would imagine the class is sealed for now because they don't want people to get far along in customizing it right now. It is probably going to change a lot before even the beta release.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: My Initial Impressions with the new HandleErrorAttribute with MVC Preview 4
on 07-27-2008 8:26 PM

@El Guapo,

You may in fact be correct.  However, that is a pretty lame reason.  The people that are willing to use and extend the MVC are the ones that are willing to perform rework for future releases.

Matt Dunn wrote re: My Initial Impressions with the new HandleErrorAttribute with MVC Preview 4
on 07-27-2008 8:40 PM

Apparently there is a significant performance boost for reflection in resolving sealed vs unsealed attributes. Most of the attributes in the .NET framework are sealed presumably for this reason (its also recommended in the Framework Design Guidelines).

This doesn't make your comments any less valid though :)

ASP.NET MVC Archived Blog Posts, Page 1 wrote ASP.NET MVC Archived Blog Posts, Page 1
on 07-27-2008 9:48 PM

Pingback from  ASP.NET MVC Archived Blog Posts, Page 1

on 07-27-2008 9:51 PM

@Matt,

Wow, i would have never thought about the reflection angle.  Would like to see some data behind that (not that I do not believe you) to see what type of gains making something sealed is.

Christopher Steen wrote Link Listing - July 27, 2008
on 07-28-2008 6:14 AM

Link Listing - July 27, 2008

Ben Scheirman wrote re: My Initial Impressions with the new HandleErrorAttribute with MVC Preview 4
on 07-28-2008 2:00 PM

Who gives a flip about reflection performance when you're throwing a freaking exception?

Seriously, in an error state, which will seldom happen (hopefully) who really cares about saving a few CPU cycles.

I ran into this same roadblock with the [Authorize] attribute.  I sent an email to the team.

Haacked wrote re: My Initial Impressions with the new HandleErrorAttribute with MVC Preview 4
on 07-28-2008 4:10 PM

Regarding putting your Error.aspx in the Views/Shared folder. Keep in mind that we use the normal view location mechanism for finding the view.

Without changing your attribute declaration, you can simply add a controller specific error.aspx into the corresponding directory.

/Views/ControllerName/Error.aspx

And it will resolve that one instead. No need to do this:

[MyHandleErrorAttribute(View = "~/Views/[folder]/[page].aspx")]

ScottGu wrote re: My Initial Impressions with the new HandleErrorAttribute with MVC Preview 4
on 07-31-2008 7:22 PM

I just a checkin that unsealed the filter attributes - this will show up in the next MVC drop.

Hope this helps,