Upgrading a Smart Device Project to Compact Framework 3.5

***** Disclaimer: I am a total NOOBIE to working on Smart Device Projects *****

Today I needed to upgrade on of our smart device projects from Compact Framework 2.0 to 3.5.  I figured that I could do this via the properties dialog, but could not (see image below).  But as you can see, the Target Framework option is no enabled.

Being the guy I am (having now regard to totally screwing something up) I decided to take a look at the project file (.csproj) to see what I could learn from that.  Withen about 10 seconds of looking at the file I came across the following node.
<TargetFrameworkVersion>v2.0</TargetFrameworkVersion>

I decided to change this to:
<TargetFrameworkVersion>v3.5</TargetFrameworkVersion>

When I went back into my solution it asked to refresh based on the fact the files where changes.  After the refresh all was good.

I know there HAS to be a better/cleaner/eaiser/safer way to do this, but I could not find it.  So, if there is please let me know.

Hope this helps someone in the future,

[----- Remember to check out DimeCasts.Net -----]

Posted 09-10-2008 8:49 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

pmlarocque wrote re: Upgrading a Smart Device Project to Compact Framework 3.5
on 09-10-2008 10:30 AM

Right-click on the project in solution explorer, near the bottom "Update Project".

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Upgrading a Smart Device Project to Compact Framework 3.5
on 09-10-2008 10:33 AM

@pmlarocque,

I do not have that option.  About the only one that is even close is 'change target platform' but that is not correct either.

I am VS 2008, that may help?

pmlarocque wrote re: Upgrading a Smart Device Project to Compact Framework 3.5
on 09-10-2008 10:47 AM

well if you already on 3.5 the option disappear (not just grayed out). I am in Visual Studio 2008 to.

pmlarocque wrote re: Upgrading a Smart Device Project to Compact Framework 3.5
on 09-10-2008 11:01 AM

if it's still not there, maybe it's a new option of SP1. Never had to do it myself, just checked for fun because I don't have much work to do right now ;)

Nermin wrote re: Upgrading a Smart Device Project to Compact Framework 3.5
on 09-10-2008 3:24 PM

You realy need to download Paint.Net, and stop using Windows Paint for your screen shots.  I am sorry but that hiding of Assembly name, namespace, and whatnot just looks like my 3 year old did it and so not "computer savvy"

Dew Drop - September 11, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - September 11, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 09-11-2008 9:07 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - September 11, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

Daniel Hughes wrote re: Upgrading a Smart Device Project to Compact Framework 3.5
on 12-04-2008 4:29 PM

The reason that it is not their is because you manual changed the project file. The Upgrade option only appears if the project is not version 3.5. You have made the project file think it is 3.5 so the upgrade option has disappeared.