Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5

One of the new features that is part of the next release of StructureMap 2.5 is a AutoMocking Container.

What is an AutoMocking Container, well per Jacob over at Eleutian an AutoMocker is

AutoMockingContainer is simply a IoCContainer with a custom facility and dependency resolver that supplies a Mock (RhinoMock) for any interface that is resolved.

My definition is a little more straight forward and uses simpler word (remember I am a simpleton :))

An AutoMocking container is simply a tool that will inject mock dependencies into your object for you.

What I want to do today is show how an AutoMocking Container can reduce the amount of code/noise from your tests.   I am going to first show a tests that simply uses RhinoMocks then that same test that uses the RhinoAutoMocker

Test with only RhinoMocks

[Test]
public void NoAutoMocker()
{
	var mockProvider = MockRepository.GenerateMock<IPersistingRulesProvider>();
        var mockRepository = MockRepository.GenerateMock<ISynchronizationRepository>();
        var mockPersistanceProvider = MockRepository.GenerateMock<IPersistanceProvider>();
        var mockLogger = MockRepository.GenerateMock<ILogger>();

// Expectations
        mockProvider.Expect(x => x.ExecuteRules(null)).IgnoreArguments().Throw(new Exception("Do not care what this is"));
        mockRepository.Expect(x => x.StartTransaction()).Repeat.Once();
        mockRepository.Expect(x => x.RollbackTransaction()).Repeat.Once();
        mockRepository.Expect( x => x.CommitTransaction() ).Repeat.Never();

var persitingPipeline = new PersistingPipeline(mockProvider, mockPersistanceProvider, mockRepository, mockLogger);
        var result = persitingPipeline.PersistChanges(new DataSet(), 0, 0, 0);

Assert.That( result, Is.Not.Empty );

mockRepository.VerifyAllExpectations();
}

This code above has a bit of noise.  Because my object has a dependency on 4 other objects i need to create mocks for each of these.  This creates more work and just adds to the test noise.

Test with the RhinoAutoMocker

[Test]
public void WithAutoMocker()
{
	var mockPipeline = new RhinoAutoMocker<PersistingPipeline>();

mockPipeline.Get<IPersistingRulesProvider>().Expect( x => x.ExecuteRules( null ) ).IgnoreArguments().Throw( new Exception( "Do not care what this is" ) );
	mockPipeline.Get<ISynchronizationRepository>().Expect(x => x.StartTransaction()).Repeat.Once();
        mockPipeline.Get<ISynchronizationRepository>().Expect(x => x.RollbackTransaction()).Repeat.Once();
        mockPipeline.Get<ISynchronizationRepository>().Expect(x => x.CommitTransaction()).Repeat.Never();

var result = mockPipeline.ClassUnderTest.PersistChanges( new DataSet(), 0, 0, 0 );

Assert.That( result, Is.Not.Empty );

}

The code above does not require me to create mocks for each of my dependencies, the AutoMocker will do that for me.

Also notice that when I need to set an expectation for a dependencies I can access it via the .Get<>() method.

[----- Remember to check out DimeCasts.Net -----]

Posted 10-05-2008 1:58 PM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

DotNetKicks.com wrote Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5
on 10-05-2008 7:15 PM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Silverlight Travel wrote re: Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5
on 10-06-2008 12:19 AM

Great. Much easer like without AutoMocking Container

Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #194 wrote Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock &raquo; The Morning Brew #194
on 10-06-2008 3:05 AM

Pingback from  Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock  &raquo; The Morning Brew #194

chrissie1 wrote re: Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5
on 10-06-2008 7:10 AM

The only problem I have with this is that it needs an IoC to run the test, so you are actually adding a dependency to do the tests which makes 'm slightly more brittle. This is however a minor objection.

What do you think?

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5
on 10-06-2008 7:36 AM

@Chrissie

As i am a big fan of IoC and use them in most of my applications this is a non-issue for me.

Also, I think the savings of not having to manually create your mocks is worth the added dependency.

Finally, I do not see how this makes my tests more brittle.  In fact because I can change my constructor parameters without having to change my tests makes the test less brittle in my opinion.

chrissie1 wrote re: Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5
on 10-06-2008 7:54 AM

It's more brittle because it depends on the container being configured correctly. Perhaps not such a big deal but it is there. what if the default of your implementations changes? all four at the same time?

And I too am A big fan of IoC but I try to keep it out of my tests. Mostly because I can do the sam without. Of course if you have lots of dependencies then it would be eassier.

I remember Jeremy not being convinced at first, but he changed his mind.

It was just a thought, not a criticism.

Dew Drop - October 6, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - October 6, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 10-06-2008 8:30 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - October 6, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

jdn wrote re: Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5
on 10-06-2008 12:25 PM

Some would argue that the need for an AMC is/could be a code smell in the first place, along the lines of questioning why you need to wire up so many dependencies (could be a bad design).

Not sure if I buy that myself, I guess it depends.

Joshua Flanagan wrote re: Using the RhinoAutoMocker that is part of StructureMap 2.5
on 10-07-2008 8:20 AM

@chrissie1 - You do not need to configure the container when using the automocker. Derik's sample code above is complete - he didn't hide the configuration part. All dependencies resolve to mocks, so there isn't any danger of brittle configuration. You CAN inject other non-mock objects into the container if you need to, but that would be specific to your test, and no more brittle.

@derik - I think you still need to verify your expectations when using the automocker. Something like "mockPipeline.VerifyAll()"

on 10-07-2008 8:28 AM

@Joshua,

You are correct, I did leave out the verify code.

That was a simple oversight