Save Dataset contents to XML and Null Values

Today I needed to save a fully populated dataset as xml to my drive in order to simplfly unit testing.  I thought this would be pretty straight forward, but as it turns out it was not.  There is one little wrinkle that may bite you if you are not careful.  Below I will describe what I tried and why it failed and finally what worked.

Problem: I need to save a fully populated Dataset as XML to disk

Solution Attempt 1: Use DataSet.WriteXml( LocationOnDisk )

This worked, mostly.  I was able to get the XML document and reload it into a a dataset using DataSet.ReadXml( LocationOnDisk ).  A problem arose because one of my columns was always null.  And by default simply doing a WriteXml does not save schema information. More information on this here.

Solution Attempt 2: Use DataSet.WriteSchema (LocationOnDisk) then user DataSet.WriteXml( LocationOnDisk)

This worked.  By saving my schema information for the dataset I am later able to repopulate the data and have my null values replaced.  In order to do this all you have to do is the following.

DataSet ds = new DataSet();
ds.ReadXmlSchema( XsdFileLocation );
ds.ReadXml( XmlFileLocation );

I know this seems pretty trival, but If you do not understand how Xml and schemas work you could spin your wheels for a while trying to figure out why your column/data was not repopulated.

Hope this helps someone,

[----- Remember to check out DimeCasts.Net -----]

Posted 10-06-2008 3:36 PM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under:

Comments

Dan Sniderman wrote re: Save Dataset contents to XML and Null Values
on 10-07-2008 8:06 AM

Datasets are the root of much evil...

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Save Dataset contents to XML and Null Values
on 10-07-2008 8:12 AM

@Dan,

They are the root of many evil, sadly my current application passes them between web service calls (on the list to change) and I needed a way to avoid having to actually make the web service call.

Dew Drop - October 7, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - October 7, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 10-07-2008 9:35 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - October 7, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

Arjan`s World » LINKBLOG for October 7, 2008 wrote Arjan`s World » LINKBLOG for October 7, 2008
on 10-07-2008 10:14 AM

Pingback from  Arjan`s World    » LINKBLOG for October 7, 2008

Michael C. Neel wrote re: Save Dataset contents to XML and Null Values
on 10-11-2008 8:19 PM

Did you try using an XMLSerializer (or binary) on the dataset?  I think this will serialize the schema and data in one file.  If you use a binary serializer be sure to set the RemotingFormat to binary on the DataSet before the Serialize() call.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Save Dataset contents to XML and Null Values
on 01-18-2009 10:26 PM

@Michael,

Not for this project, but I have used it in the past.