Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet

***** UPDATE *****
In fairness it appears that I had downloaded the latest build, not the ‘official’ release.  So I hear the release does NOT have this issue, only the latest drop.
***** END UPDATE *****

Today I had a few minutes so I thought I would grab the Oxite code to take a peek at the code.  I have no plans in actually using the code or application for my site, but I always enjoy looking at other code examples as you can always learn something.

To get started I went over to the download section of the project to get the code and that was pretty easy, which ends any ‘easiness’ about this.

After the code was downloaded and unzipped I did what anyone would do, I double clicked on the Oxite.sln to open it.  I fully expected to be able to open the project and compile… NOPE.

The first thing it did was bark that the project was under source control and that it could not connect to the source repository.  It then proceeded to bark at me for each and every project in the solution.  This is ok as I have seen this before, but then it did not load any of the projects at the end of all the barking.  It simply opened the solution up and showed all the projects as being unavailable.  The main reason for the source issues is because the source was checked into TFS and I do not have the TFS client installed on my box.  This is a massive fail in my book.

In order to actually open the .sln file I needed to do the following.

1. Delete all .vss files from the folder tree
  2. Open all .proj files in notepad and delete the following
    <SccProjectName>SAK</SccProjectName>
    <SccLocalPath>SAK</SccLocalPath>
    <SccAuxPath>SAK</SccAuxPath>
    <SccProvider>SAK</SccProvider>
  3. Open the .sln file in notepad and remove the following section

GlobalSection(TeamFoundationVersionControl) = preSolution
        SccNumberOfProjects = 10
        SccEnterpriseProvider = {4CA58AB2-18FA-4F8D-95D4-32DDF27D184C}
        SccTeamFoundationServer = https://tfs04.codeplex.com/
        ….
    EndGlobalSection

Once I did the following I was able to run and compile the solution.

So, what is my main beef with this?  Simple.  When you post code on the net in this fashion making it hard for people to work with is the exact opposite of what you want.  Make it hard and people will leave, make it easy and people will stay.

Anyway, my rant is over.

Posted 12-13-2008 4:21 PM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Adam Tybor wrote re: Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet
on 12-13-2008 6:56 PM

Using the latest source with tsvn had no problems.  I agree don't put a release out unless it opens and builds fine.  Checkout the latest source as the guys have been busy over the last couple days fixing minor bugs.

Outside of fat controllers and crazy soup for views its pretty good for a sample from MS in my opinion.  The sample code is certainly improving!

Erik Porter wrote re: Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet
on 12-13-2008 6:59 PM

I can't repro.  Did you download the release? We disconnected it from source control before zipping it up and shipping it.

James Gregory wrote re: Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet
on 12-13-2008 7:00 PM

This is a great illustration of why tightly integrating your IDE and your version control system is such a bad idea.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet
on 12-13-2008 7:14 PM

@Erik,

Yes i downloaded build 26854 and upzipped an then tried to run the .sln in the file.

I did get errors about the DB project as i do not have that installed, but that is NOT something I would even come close to saying is your fault.

Dan Sniderman wrote re: Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet
on 12-14-2008 9:55 AM

The download from the "Release" tab (www.codeplex.com/.../ProjectReleases.aspx) as others have pointed out  - doesn't have this issue.

The download from the "Source Code" I'm guessing is a live directly link to the source code repository.  "26854" is a Changeset - not necessarily a build.

You didn't download the release - but the "Latest" bits directly from the Source Code Trunk.  Obviously that is going to have the artificacts necessary to integrate with the source control repository.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet
on 12-14-2008 10:10 AM

@Dan,

Yea, i realized that, but not till after i posted this.

Dave Schinkel wrote re: Oxite, an example on how NOT to put code on internet
on 12-16-2008 9:44 AM

Try opening a .NET solution in Expression Blend out of the box.  You can't.  Why?  You get a stupid error saying it doesn't recognize .sln files.  The fix?  SP1

Another example of failing in your promoting adoption of a new product.