Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, only then will we learn

Today I posted a comment to one of my other blog posts that read:

I forgot about the blue bible of DDD.  Since Eric said it, it must be gospel.

This comment was in response to another comment about the Eric Evans DDD book.  I know that my comment was a bit harsh and will be taken way out of context by many.  Sadly the ones that take it out of context will do so by defending the DDD book.  Even though my comment was directly about that book, the spirit of it has nothing to do with that book or any other book, blog, etc.  In fact I buy into the majority of the concepts in the book and actually like the book for its content.

The point I was trying to make (yes I did a very, very poor job of it) was that simply reading something does not make it gospel.  In order to fully understand something and to be able to do it correctly we need to think, reflect and challenge the thoughts.  I see too many people who simply read something and then do it, or read something and think it must be true in ALL cases.

Every situation is different and every situation needs to be treated as unique and be thought about as such.

We as a profession are learning at a great pace and our thoughts on what is good design or the right way is also changing very rapidly.  In order for us to continue to grow we need to accept nothing as is and challenge everything.  If after we have challenged it we still find it to be true, then we have succeeded.

The moral this post is this.  Read something, think about it, reflect on it.  If you understand and agree the intent of the content and it make sense for you in your situation then implement it.  If it does not make sense the find a better solution.

Posted 12-24-2008 10:54 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under:

Comments

Kyle Baley wrote re: Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, only then will we learn
on 12-24-2008 12:00 PM

Good sentiment. I'd add that you should do more than think and reflect in our industry. Go out and try it. (And try hard.) I find it hard to form an educated opinion on something until I've played with it myself.

jdn wrote re: Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, only then will we learn
on 12-24-2008 1:16 PM

Absolutely.  Accept nothing at face value, especially things like "You can't write quality code without testing."

Merry Christmas.

Justin Etheredge wrote re: Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, only then will we learn
on 12-24-2008 1:21 PM

I agree to a certain extent. The problem is that if people who are unqualified to make decisions on how to develop applications start thinking that they know a "better way", then when do you start to defer to the experts who have written seminal works in this area? Honestly, whenever I feel like I know how to do something in a better way, generally speaking I don't understand the topic. :-)

Chad Myers wrote re: Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, only then will we learn
on 12-24-2008 1:22 PM

@derik: I agree. A corollary might be that doing DDD bad is still better than doing nothing (like some crazy home-grown ORM or "Data Access Layer" crap)

@jdn: "You can't write quality code without testing."

You can, but how are you gonna prove it?  I don't trust you or any developer. Show me the proof. Tests happen to be a good way to do that.

Lee Carter wrote re: Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, only then will we learn
on 12-24-2008 1:48 PM

Evans book changed the way I think about (and develop) applications - nonetheless, I've also noticed the same disturbing tendency to treat anything Evans says as "gospel", even going so far as to quote him chapter and verse.

Casey Charlton has a great post on the "spirit" of DDD ( devlicio.us/.../the-tao-of-domain-driven-design.aspx ), and I even had my own Road to Damascus experience ( blog.quiziqal.com/.../Domain-Driven-and-Not-a-Repository-in-Sight.aspx ).

Thanks for adding some much needed perspective for anyone who finds themself becoming a "one book" ( en.wikipedia.org/.../Homo_unius_libri ) developer.

on 12-24-2008 2:19 PM

@Chad

As you might say, I've seen it dozens of times.  You can write quality code without testing.  And, prove to me your tests are good.  Even Code Coverage 2 says studies prove testing code has more bugs than the code it is testing.

I'm in favor of testing too.  I just don't have the religious zealotry about it.

Bryan Watts wrote re: Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, only then will we learn
on 12-24-2008 5:15 PM

As the one who made the comment in question, I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Only you, the implementer, can decide what is right for your particular situation. Thinking for yourself is key.

However, this is the tension between between generalization and specialization. At what point do you begin to stand on the shoulders of giants?

A guideline I use sums up Justin's comment: "If you are being clever, you probably don't see the whole problem."

You are most likely tenacious in your readings, questionings, and understandings. Leave room for that tenacity in others as well; let them be innocent of zealotry until proven guilty.

on 12-25-2008 12:58 AM

@jdn: [Sincerely] Please stop with the insulting remarks (i.e. 'zealotry'). It doesn't help with the debate/argument. You may be mistake Zeal for rigor/discipline.

Perhaps we see testing as more than just ensuring something is correct?  It can also serve as a way of keeping the design process focused and on-track, it can serve as as sort of guide for maintenance programmers in the future, it can serve as safety locks and canaries-in-the-mine for future changes, allowing us to proceed at the same pace of writing quality code.

Sure you can write quality code without tests, but I contend that you won't be able to continue writing quality code without tests for very long.

Put differently the friction/cost/problems grow exponentially as amount of code produced increases.   Without effective measures to manage this, eventually the friction/cost/problems become prohibitive and the system becomes effectively "unmaintainable" (in the same way an otherwise operational car can be considered "totaled."

In my experience, rigorous testing, especially test-driven, tests-are-first-class-code-citizens type tests, are the most effective way I've yet seen to manage this ever-increasing cost/complexity.

on 12-25-2008 11:31 AM

@Chad

I won't stop using terms like' zealotry' until people stop being zealots.  And yes, I know the difference between zeal and rigor.  And, frankly, you are well known for feeling insulted at the drop of a hat.

"I contend that you won't be able to continue writing quality code without tests for very long."

See, this is BS.  We wrote code in the 90s using VB6 COM and SQL and tested the 'old-fashioned' way, manual clicky clicky.

Do I have any particular desire to go to those days?  Hell no.  But the quality of the software was good.  It was maintainable (though not as maintainable as what we can do now).

It's like when people (like you for instance) say you can't do data driven architecture well.  It isn't true and leads one to think about zeal.

Software has been written for decades without the tooling support we have now that makes testing easy (and no, the fact that some SmallTalk developer wrote a white paper whenever isn't relevant), and makes B/TDD a reasonable set of methodologies to practice.  It is categorically false to suggest that there was no quality software then or that you cannot do it now.

You can continue to disagree all you want.  I will continue to argue that zealotry about alt.net themes hurts the cause as much as it helps.  Telling people it isn't possible to write quality code without tests is false, and hurts the cause of getting people to write better code with the aid of testing.

on 12-25-2008 12:10 PM

Oh, and people should read this as well.

ayende.com/.../the-tests-has-no-value-by-themselves-my-most-successful.aspx

I willing to bet that Ayende knows something about testing.

DotNetKicks.com wrote Challenge everything, accept nothing at face value, ...
on 01-02-2009 3:19 PM