Eager loading a One-to-Many collection w/ NHibernate

At work I have a section of code which I need to eager load all my data in order to pass that data back across the wire.  I thought I had it all setup correctly, but then I realized that I was not returning back unique results from my query.

Imagine I have the following Schema

image

My current need was to get all Destinations in the database (we know it is a small number and this is for the edit screen) and have it eager load the endpoint (which you actually get for free) and the Assigned_Message_Types

Originally setup my Criteria selection as below

var result = Session.CreateCriteria( typeof( Destination ) )
	.SetFetchMode( "Endpoint", FetchMode.Eager )
        .SetFetchMode( "AssignedMessageTypeses", FetchMode.Eager )
        .List();

When I ran the query above, I expected to get 2 records back, one for each destination in the database.  However, I received 4 of them back.  The first 3 were the same, and the 4th one was different.  As you could imagine this is NOT what I expected.  I thought I would reach out to Kyle Baley (@kbaley) for some help on this, but turns out he was having the same issue recently.  Good thing for both of us the Twitterverse was able to lend a helpful hand.  James Kovacs (@jamesKovacs) along with someone else (sorry, forgot our handle) pointed both of us to the following 2 posts.

I decided to get the usage of DistinctRootEntityResultTransformer a try, and the code below is what worked for me.

var result = Session.CreateCriteria( typeof( Destination ) )
	.SetFetchMode( "Endpoint", FetchMode.Eager )
        .SetFetchMode( "AssignedMessageTypeses", FetchMode.Eager )

// this is the magic line
        .SetResultTransformer( new DistinctRootEntityResultTransformer() )
        .List();

By adding the DistinctRootEntityResultTransformer transformer to my query I now get 2 rows of data, which is exactly what I needed/wanted.

Posted 03-05-2009 3:14 PM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under: ,

Comments

Erik Nilsson wrote re: Eager loading a One-to-Many collection w/ NHibernate
on 03-05-2009 5:25 PM

Hey Derik. I had that problem a while ago and after a Google search I found a similar solution. Instead of instantiating the DistinctRootEntryResultTransformer you can use CriteriaUtil.DistinctRootEntity. Slightly shorter.

DotNetShoutout wrote Eager loading a One-to-Many collection w/ NHibernate - Derik Whittaker
on 03-05-2009 5:29 PM

Thank you for submitting this cool story - Trackback from DotNetShoutout

DotNetKicks.com wrote Eager loading a One-to-Many collection w/ NHibernate
on 03-05-2009 5:38 PM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

nHibernate_newbie wrote re: Eager loading a One-to-Many collection w/ NHibernate
on 03-07-2009 6:49 AM

what is wrong with "session.CreateMultiCriteria()" ?

just asking as you're pointing to the article that uses exactly that.

Nhibernate_newbie wrote re: Eager loading a One-to-Many collection w/ NHibernate
on 03-07-2009 7:38 AM

2nd though, shouldn't the use of .SetResultTransformer(new DistinctRootEntityResultTransformer())  be prohibited/not adviced?

If I understand it right, NHibernate will only remove the duplicates in your code (e.g. resultset List<T> etc), but the call to the DB will be everything but not optimal.

Dealing with thousands and thousands of results will probably show off more then dealing with 3 of them where you don't really care.

Then maybe I might be wrong and there is some magic, as the whole eager loading of NHibernate seems uterly complicated compared to some OR/M I'm used to (lightspeed) which do it in absolutely elegant way (but there is a need of attribute usage, which goes against POCO models).

Thanks for answer Derik