If you have ever used NHibernate I am sure you have encounted the error ‘Invalid Index ‘N’ for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N’ (where N is any number) exception when trying to create your mappings.

If you are completely new to NHibernate, as I am I am sure this one has you scratching your head saying…. WTF.

The good news is that ‘normally’ the solution to this problem is pretty easy, but before I tell you the answer let me explain the issue.

Take a look at the code below

public EpisodeMap()
{
	WithTable( "Episode" );

Id( x => x.ID ).GeneratedBy.Identity();

Map( x => x.LevelTypeID );
        Map( x => x.Name );
        Map( x => x.Description );
        Map( x => x.EpisodeNumber );
        Map( x => x.EpisodeDate );
        Map( x => x.CreatedDate );
	Map( x => x.Enabled );

References( x => x.EpisodeLevel )
        .WithForeignKey( "LevelTypeID" ).TheColumnNameIs( "LevelTypeID" )
        .Access.AsCamelCaseField( Prefix.Underscore )
	.FetchType.Join();

}

Take notice to the mapping above.  I have a many-to-one mapping for EpisodeLevel, but I have also created and mapped the FK to EpisodeLevel as LevelTypeID.

The issue (as i have experienced it) is this:

Because I have mapped my FK to the Episode Level table as .LevelTypeID as well as to the EpisodeLevel entity NH is going to try to create multiple associations on that field.  However it cannot because that is not correct.

To solve this issue (mostly in my experience) all you need to do is remove the following line
Map( x => x.LevelTypeID );

If you MUST populate the LevelTypeID property at the top level, do so by providing the value as a pass through from Episode Level as such:

public Int32 LevelTypeID
{
	get { return EpisodeLevel.LevelTypeID; }
}

I hope this helps someone.

Posted 03-19-2009 11:00 AM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Bill Campbell wrote re: NHibernate and ‘Invalid Index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N error’
on 03-23-2009 2:15 PM

Hi Derik,

Thanks for the great info here! This is really current stuff. I'm getting this same Invalid Index error but I am using the same key for part of a composite-id and then again in the References. Do you know of any work arounds for this?

public class RouteObjMap : ClassMap<RouteObjNH>

Map(x => x.MilesTraveled);

// Reference back to parent Project

References(x => x.Project).Cascade.All()

.WithForeignKey("ProjectID").WithColumns("ProjectID");

}

}

Gauthier Segay wrote re: NHibernate and ‘Invalid Index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N error’
on 03-29-2009 6:49 AM

Hi Derik, I've also encountered this issue (mostly with composite keys) and have used this workarround:

set  Insert/Update attributes to false on one of theses "redundant" properties.

Steve wrote re: NHibernate and ‘Invalid Index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N error’
on 04-02-2009 6:06 AM

the great thing i have discovered about

# public Int32 LevelTypeID

# {

#     get { return EpisodeLevel.LevelTypeID; }

# }

is that nhib does not send off another query to get the EpisodeLevel project. It knows it can pull the id out of its on internal FK column. nice.

If (!awesome) return "fail"; wrote Invalid index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N.
on 07-08-2009 6:44 PM

Invalid index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N.

Nathan wrote re: NHibernate and ‘Invalid Index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N error’
on 08-03-2009 12:52 AM

Thanks Derik - Been using Castle ActiveRecord for a bit and recently I've been learning Fluent NHibernate.  I was beating my head against the desk for a good while before I found your blog post.  Thanks!

curlyfro wrote re: NHibernate and ‘Invalid Index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N error’
on 08-19-2009 12:01 PM

you saved me hours -- thx

Per Erik Stendahl wrote re: NHibernate and ‘Invalid Index N for this SqlParameterCollection with Count=N error’
on 09-10-2009 4:00 AM