To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?

Over the past few weeks I have been presenting at a few .Net user groups and one of the questions I asked prior to each session was the number of people who have some sort of CI/build server for their team.  Now keep in mind I qualified this question by stating that this build server could be a cron job, a build script of some sort or a full fledged CI product (team city, Hudson, TFS, etc).

I continued to be amazed by the number of people who have no CI type of process on their teams.   I thought (and I guess know that I am wrong) that having some way to ensure your product builds and integrates was just common sense.

It is little things like this which keeps our profession in the dark ages.  To all the shops out there who do not have a CI process.  GET OFF YOUR ASS AND BUILD ONE.

<RANT>

Ok, before anyone flames this post with ‘we can do CI because…’ I have a few items

• Use free products (NAnt, CC.Net, Hudson, NUnit, etc)
  • Start simple.  Only compile your code… screw the rest
  • It does not take that long, really it does not.  A complete noob should be able to get a simple Nant script running as a hourly process in a single day

</RANT>

Ok, rant over.  Really, if your team does not have a CI process add one.  You WILL thank me for it in the long run.

Posted 05-19-2009 3:22 PM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Brandon wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-19-2009 7:46 PM

Totally agree.  I started in my current shop about 4 months ago and they didn't have a CI server setup.  Downloaded TeamCity and took a day to set it up on a old desktop.  It's caught so many bad checkins (forgot to check in the new project file,etc.) since then it's not even funny.

Ryan Roberts wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-20-2009 7:38 AM

That has been my day one rant at new companies for a few years. So easy to set up for lots of benefit. It does often mean sorting out dependencies in existing builds though.

Worst thing I ever saw build wise was a 10 page build instructions document with dependency diagrams. It was a manual 1 day process to get an operable build of this system.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-20-2009 7:48 AM

@Ryan,

My current company had a build process, but it was kinda like what you are talking about.  There are many steps and you must have 'everything just right'.

Well After about 3 months of work (not 3 solid months) we now have 30+ builds going, all of them with standalone build scripts.  No dependencies on installed software (everything local).

Takes a bit of work to go the full distance, but man is it worth it

Lee Brandt wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-20-2009 10:29 AM

Rant on, man. When I do talks, I am still shocked at the number of people (or lack of) who have an automated build process. There are even some who still don't have source control of any kind. It makes me shudder. Keep fighting the good fight.

Lee

Hudson Akridge wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-20-2009 1:30 PM

Completely agreed. There's Team City for FNH, and we use TFS at my day job. I can't imagine developing without it. How else do you know if the code you checked in will compile for the next new user that checks it out?

Bill Sorensen wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-20-2009 1:44 PM

I agree; however, I don't believe CI is sufficient in and of itself. You also have to build a culture where a failed CI build is a priority. (Management buy-in helps.) I have seen a build server running for months with developers completely ignoring failures.

Trevor wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-21-2009 11:46 AM

"How else do you know if the code you checked in will compile for the next new user that checks it out?"

You get latest before checking in?

on 05-21-2009 11:53 AM

@Trevor,

I guess you have never heard the saying 'It works on my machine' :)

Developer machines are NOT good tests of code compilation or code cleanliness.

You need a clean build box with only the bare minimum needed to compile the code to know this information

on 05-21-2009 12:57 PM

@Derik - yes, you are technically correct, in theory.  In theory, you can have a brand new developer coming onto a project every day.  In practice, things are usually not so dynamic and exciting.

I'm not arguing against CI, just stating my opinion that in practice, it is actually far less crucial than is implied by its advocates (much like any flavor of the week practice).

on 05-21-2009 1:05 PM

For example:

"I’m sorry, but if your team does not care about the little details which make your product better what the hell makes you think you will get the big details right?"

If you stop and think about this sentence, it is actually complete nonsense.  So, if my team is not doing CI, then we will [therefore, probably] not get the big details right either?

on 05-21-2009 1:11 PM

@Trevor,

The point of that sentence is this.  If a team does not do the little things to allow them to function better then what are they going to do about the big items.

Also, having some sort CI process grows and it should grow into having a mature setup.  For example.  I am on a team with 50+ devs and about 25 'projects' which comprise our main app.  these devs bounce around from time to time.  At NO time do they need all 25 projects to compile locally.

BUT

Are setup is such that as a rule they can do a SVN Update, click a bat file and have a set of DLL's locally.

That is what CI also brings

Kyle Baley wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-21-2009 2:23 PM

Trevor,

It's very easy to create a failed build. You've mentioned one, not getting the latest. Yes, you should get latest but the onus is on the developer to remember that. Another more common example: forgetting to add a library/class to source control. Or having a dependency on something that is installed in the GAC (or somewhere else) on your machine.

The major benefit of CI, in my world, is the shift in responsibility. If I get the latest version of the code and it doesn't compile or work, then I'm now responsible for investigating an issue I didn't cause. That means either fixing it or tracking down who caused it (and that person may have long gone for the day). In a CI environment, that responsibility is shifted back to the person who caused the error.

As Derik says, for the amount of effort it takes to set up, I almost consider it negligent not to.

Gavin wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-22-2009 4:30 AM

I'm an advocate of CI. But how do you get a company to take this on when you are just a little grunt? Quit and go somewhere else?

Scott Muc wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-25-2009 11:35 AM

I've always had an automated build, but never had a CI server. A couple weeks ago I setup an old workstation to be a QA box. At the end of every day I simply sit in front of it and perform the build and browse to the web application.

It's probably the most primitive form of CI because it's a manual process but even that simple task makes it easier to go home at night.

I only work in a team of 2 so we don't have the issues that a larger shop would have, but once the dev team is greater than 1 person this kind of process really comes in handy.

My next step is to install TeamCity.

I believe one of the biggest barrier to entry in CI for most people is trying to get it perfect. I personally feel it's best to start small. Make sure you can build from the command line without VS from a fresh checkout. Then automate your tests. Then automate a deployable artifact from your build, etc...

Ben Hyrman wrote re: To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still even a question?
on 05-26-2009 12:40 AM

At my last employer, my friend and I started about the same time. We moved our team to CVS NT, NAnt and Anthill. This replaced a multi-hour semi-manual build process (previously code was built for each environment and each machine)

That caught so many missed check-ins and "works on my machine" excuses that it was a no-brainer to move on from there.

We then started using our build scripts to publish to a hand-off location for our deployment team.

From there, on to automated deployments (well, push-button deployments)

At the end of it all, we went from manual builds, forgotten check-ins and a general maintenance mess to automated builds, fully staged, and deployable to any environment in a consistent and automated manner. We never rolled back code because of a show-stopper bug or forgotten deployment step.

The largest issue, being a large corporate IT shop, was that we had to be careful to call our CI a "build workstation". Bbecause, if they ever heard it called a "build server" it would have been shipped to the data center and locked down.

on 05-26-2009 12:47 AM

@Gavin,

If your team is experiencing issues that you know can be directly fixed by a CI solution (be it something running locally, a workstation somewhere, whatever) then it should be a fairly simple sell to your boss. If you don't have any issues, then it's probably not necessary to bring up CI.

Derik Whittaker wrote What I expect my Continuous Integration server to do for me.
on 06-04-2009 9:04 PM

Recently I had a post where I made the statement ‘To CI or not to CI, did not realize it was still