1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror

Wow, what a great Code Camp.  This past weekend we held the first Chicago Code Camp in northern Chicago.  I think we had over 200 people show up, which is not too bad given it was our first event.  We had 32 session ranging from .Net to TDD to Ruby and beyond.

I personally sat though 2 different sessions.

1) Aaron Erickson – Code that rights codes:  This was a great session to which showed exactly how expression trees did and how they could be utilized in your application

2) Micah Martin -- Ruby Kata: This session was great, but a bit different. Micah’s goal was not to show too much code, but rather talk about how you need to practice or perform Kata’s in order to grow your skill.  After about 30-45 minutes of conversation Micah sat down and created an application in front of the group and did so with the understanding that we were going to grade him on the skill/technique of the code.

I would like to personally thank Tim, Scott and Sergio for their hard work to help make this great event come to life.  I would also like to thank everyone that showed up to help us run the event as well as the people who took the time out of their Saturday to attend the event.  And last, but not least we need to thank the sponsors which helped make this possible.

See everyone at the next one.

Posted 06-01-2009 2:20 PM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under:

Comments

Tim Barcz wrote re: 1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror
on 06-01-2009 3:58 PM

Very good event...I had a great time!!!

Dan Sniderman wrote re: 1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror
on 06-01-2009 4:21 PM

Next year schedule it on a weekend where I DON'T have to go to a wedding in Iowa! :)

Sorry I missed it!

Hudson Akridge wrote re: 1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror
on 06-01-2009 6:08 PM

Awesome event man, looking forward to the next one.

Tony wrote re: 1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror
on 06-02-2009 7:31 AM

Great Event. Had a good time.

Bryant Hankins wrote re: 1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror
on 06-02-2009 4:51 PM

Thanks to you and your team for putting this together! I thought the speakers were awesome considering that it was a FREE event.

It's always nice to hear people speak that are coders in the "real world" and not just professional speakers and book authors.

Pete (BSC) wrote re: 1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror
on 06-03-2009 8:11 PM

I was at the event and it was great, learned a lot of new things and will give Unit Testing another shot.

Dean Weber wrote re: 1st Chicago Code Camp in the Rear View Mirror
on 06-05-2009 1:34 PM

I really enjoyed the Chicago Code  Camp. I have only 2 complains:

1) I was not able to attend all the great sessions given by the excellent speakers.

2) I didn't win any  of the door prizes. :(  -But I did get a great Chicago Code Camp T-shirt and a sponsor's hat. :)

Many thanks to all the people that put in the hard work to make it a great event!