PSA: NHibernate Session.Save() do you know what it returns?

Today I was working on some persistence code and quickly put together some code like the following:
Post Updated: Had the wrong code the first time.

public HealthStatus SetStatusEntry( Int32 statusTypeId, DateTime statusDateTime )
        {
            var healthStatus = new HealthStatus() { StatusTypeId = statusTypeId, StatusDateTime = statusDateTime };

var savedHealthStatus = (HealthStatus)Session.Save( healthStatus );

return savedHealthStatus;
        }

When I ran my integration test to ensure the data was saved (yes, I am a bit anal) I was a bit perplexed by the exception which was being thrown “System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Int32' to type 'FullNamspace.Goes.Here.HealthStatus'.”.  When i first looked at the code and the signature of .Save() all looked ok, then I realized that .Save() does not return the persisted entity but the ID of the entity that was just created.

If you are like me and wanted to return the fully persisted entity out of your method remember you can simply use the persisted entity and this will be good.

Hopes this save some hair for others.

Posted 09-15-2009 6:51 AM by Derik Whittaker
Filed under:

Comments

Matthew wrote re: PSA: NHibernate Session.Save() do you know what it returns?
on 09-15-2009 9:23 AM

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see why you'd get the error you stated. Since you aren't returning the results of "Save" but instead returning the object you created, it should work as you expected. Did you perhaps place your FINAL code in the post and not the initial code that caused the problem?

Derik Whittaker wrote re: PSA: NHibernate Session.Save() do you know what it returns?
on 09-15-2009 9:36 AM

@Matthew,

I had put in the wrong sample code in the initial posting.  I have updated the code to be the 'broken' code.

Henning Anderssen wrote re: PSA: NHibernate Session.Save() do you know what it returns?
on 09-15-2009 9:41 AM

A bit of off-topic comment. Why not specify the StatusTypeId and StatusDateTime in the constructor?

In my opinion, when using object initializer that way, it is a good clue that you should introduce a constructor that takes in those arguments. Easier to control the invariants :)

Yearon wrote re: PSA: NHibernate Session.Save() do you know what it returns?
on 10-12-2009 3:04 AM

Great site. Keep doing.,

Doctorset wrote re: PSA: NHibernate Session.Save() do you know what it returns?
on 11-20-2009 5:45 PM

This is the welcome page for the dentaldoctor.us Association web site.