Hey, NHibernate give me back my milliseconds

Have you ever noticed that out of the box NHibernate’s DateTime type will truncate/ignore your milliseconds for DateTime fields?  If you do not believe me check out this post.  If you think about why it does this it will become clear, NHibernate runs against MANY databases and each one of them stores DateTime values slightly different.  However all of them store basic YYYY-MM-DD : HH:MM:SS.

If you google how to resolve this issue you will find a few a post that suggests you create a custom User Type (IUserType).  Although I am sure this will work, this just seems like such overkill for the problem.

What I was able to do was setup my mapping in FluentNHibernate as such

Map( x => x.MyField, "My_Field" ).CustomTypeIs("timestamp");

By adding the .CustomTypeIs attribute (i tried CustomSqlTypeIs but this did not work) NHibernate was able to save my DateTime property into a DateTime (not Timestamp or DateTime2) field with the milliseconds inplace.

Hope this helps,

Posted 02-22-2010 4:47 PM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Chad Myers wrote re: Hey, NHibernate give me back my milliseconds
on 02-22-2010 6:29 PM

Note that in SQL Server, the Milliseconds part is only accurate to 300ths of a second (+/- a few)

Do not rely on milliseconds in SQL Server for anything important because, basically, all rows inserted within a 300ms timeframe (which could be many) will all have the exact same time stamp.

More info:

stackoverflow.com/.../why-is-sql-server-losing-a-millisecond

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Hey, NHibernate give me back my milliseconds
on 02-22-2010 7:35 PM

@Chad,

yea we know of this, but we have an existing need which rely's on milliseconds and something is better than all .000 's

Damien Guard wrote re: Hey, NHibernate give me back my milliseconds
on 02-22-2010 8:45 PM

If it's using the ADO.NET command objects, which it should be, then the datetime should be parameterized and the provider should take care of all the precision for you.

It sounds like it's embedding it as a constant into the SQL...

[)amien

Frank Mao wrote re: Hey, NHibernate give me back my milliseconds
on 02-23-2010 1:42 PM

We use DateTime as the version column, fortunately milliseconds is still there. I think we just need to notify NH we want our datetime acting as timestamp.

Version(x => x.LastModifiedDate)

.Column("S_Date")

.Generated.Always()

;

Ramon Smits wrote re: Hey, NHibernate give me back my milliseconds
on 05-11-2010 9:50 AM

This is also mentioned in the docs and also works in *.xml.hbm files