How to compile all your TypeScript .ts files into a Single .js file

Recently our team has been using TypeScript for all our Javascript work.  To be honest it has been a complete pleasure as it ‘just works’.  However one annoyance we quickly found was that we had to choose what was the best approach for using TypeScript.  Do we have a single .ts file which compiles down to a single .js file or do we have multiple .ts files which each compile down to their own .js file.  There are clearly pros/cons to both approaches

Single .ts file pros/cons

Pros:

• Means keeping all our javascript in a single place, making it a bit easier to find/update
  • Means that we only need to reference on .js file in our bundles

Cons:

• Means that our .ts file could become very large and unmanageable over time
  • Means that we are increasing our risk of merge issues when we commit it to git

Multiple .ts files pros/cons

Pros:

• Means we have smaller files to work w/ which should allow for better manageability
  • Means we could include a given .js file in a view if we so chose
  • Means we could reduce our .js file size for downloads if we so chose

Cons:

• Means we have multiple .js files which need to be references in our bundles

After weighing the pros/cons of each we decided the we better liked the idea of having multiple .ts files, but we also wanted a single .js output file.  Yea we want our cake and be able to eat it to.

The good news is that this is 100% percent doable.  One of my kick ass devs on our team spent a bit of time working on this problem (read that as THIS IS NOT MY DISCOVERARY) and found a solution.

The trick was finding out that the command line tool for compiling .ts files has an –out options.  Below is what he did to get this to work

Step 1: setup the correct content type

Open up your .csproj file and look for all references to your .ts files.  They should look something like below

<Content Include="ViewModels\Authentication\LoginViewModel.ts" />

You will want to change the type from ‘Content’ to ‘TypeScriptCompile’ as below

<TypeScriptCompile Include="ViewModels\Authentication\LoginViewModel.ts" />

Step 2: Add the property group below to your .csproj file

<PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Debug'">
  <TypeScriptSourceMap> --sourcemap</TypeScriptSourceMap>
</PropertyGroup>

You will want to add this towards the top of the .csproj file

Step 3: Add a Before Build Step to your .csproj file

Open your .cspoj file and add the block below to the bottom of your file

<Target Name="BeforeBuild">
  <Message Text="Compiling TypeScript files - $(TypeScriptSourceMap)" />
  <Message Text="Executing tsc$(TypeScriptSourceMap) @(TypeScriptCompile ->'&quot;%(fullpath)&quot;', ' ')" />
  <Exec Command="tsc$(TypeScriptSourceMap) @(TypeScriptCompile ->'&quot;%(fullpath)&quot;', ' ') --out Scripts/MySingleFile.js" />
</Target>

You will want to change the path in the Exec command.  I have mine set to Scripts/MySingleFile.js, you may have a different need

Step 4: Add this .js file to your MVC Bundles

bundles.Add(new ScriptBundle("~/bundles/projects").Include(
            "~/Scripts/MySingleFile.js"));

Step 5: Include the new bundle in your view

@Scripts.Render("~/bundles/projects")

The only issue we have found so far is that unless you use the TypeScript project template you will have to manually switch your Content type for all .ts files each time you add a new one.  This is a PITA but i am sure there is a solution for this to but we have not spent the time or energy to solve it.

Posted 12-08-2012 9:00 AM by Derik Whittaker

Comments

Christopher Bennage wrote re: How to compile all your TypeScript .ts files into a Single .js file
on 12-08-2012 1:43 PM

Does this resolve dependencies though? I'm thinking no.

I've been using RequireJS lately for the same pros listed. I consider TypeScript, but I didn't dig very deep into whether or not it would work the way I wanted.

I like that (with RequireJS), I can list the dependencies and the compiler locates them and includes them. I also like that I don't have to worry about file order. I'd like to try the same scenario with TypeScript.

I should add, I'm doing this via command line - not in VS.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: How to compile all your TypeScript .ts files into a Single .js file
on 12-09-2012 7:17 AM

@Chris,

So far we have not had any issues w/ dependencies but it is still early in the game.  We have also not had any issues w/ file order, but again it is early.

I will try to post if we run into any issues.

Derik Whittaker wrote Getting Typescript setup on your build server
on 12-10-2012 9:09 AM

In my prior post I talked about how to compile all your typescript files down to a single .js file.

Jonas Eriksson wrote re: How to compile all your TypeScript .ts files into a Single .js file
on 12-10-2012 10:44 AM

Very cool!

Another option is to use the Web Essentials "bundler" which gives a semi-automatic bundle and minification of the js files. Right click a folder with ts (and js) files, click  create js bundle file. Open the bundle file and reorder the js files if necessary. Then re-save bundle file to get a new complete bundle when needed.

codeBelt wrote re: How to compile all your TypeScript .ts files into a Single .js file
on 12-10-2012 10:50 AM

What is awesome about TypeScript is that you can compile all you single .ts files into one .js file. This done with one line. The below command will save a javascript file called main.js from all the .ts files that are referenced in Main.ts.

tsc Main.ts -out ../bin/main.js