Self Conscious Development
Write code as if you care what others think about what you’ve written.

Posted 04-04-2008 8:23 PM by Jeff Perrin

Comments

Joe wrote re: Self Conscious Development
on 04-04-2008 11:00 PM

Jeff... don't drag me over to your blog to read one line posts. Waste of my time.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: Self Conscious Development
on 04-05-2008 6:25 AM

@Joe,

It is clear that you have not read Jeff's disclaimer.

And I quote  'The value of anything written on his blog should be deemed suspect at the minimum, and blatantly false and misleading in the worst case.'

Jeff Perrin wrote re: Self Conscious Development
on 04-05-2008 9:19 AM

Joe, I haven't posted for 6-7 months. Let me ease back into it ;)

Chris Patterson wrote re: Self Conscious Development
on 04-05-2008 9:32 AM

But what about the code you always look back a year later and say, "WTF? I wrote this crap?"

Jeff Perrin wrote re: Self Conscious Development
on 04-05-2008 10:25 AM

@Chris,

Maybe include your future self in the "others" I spoke of? Which leads to a question. Have you ever written code you could look at a year later without cringeing? I know I have. But is that a good thing? If I'm improving as a developer I think I should almost *want* to cringe at year old code. Hmm.

Scott Bellware wrote re: Self Conscious Development
on 04-06-2008 12:44 PM

...because if you don't write code as if you care what others think about what you’ve written, then they will incur unnecessary waste deciphering your code, and you will find your name on the candidates list for dismissal from the team for having arbitrarily-suboptimized the project.

Scott Bellware wrote re: Self Conscious Development
on 04-06-2008 12:57 PM

Chris,

Seeing last year's code from this year's eyes is inevitable.  I look at code I just wrote and accept that it needs improvement, and then I look for ways to improve it.

It's a conscious effort in beginner mind - learning to invoke fresh eyes so that I can see through them.  If I'm not doing this all the time, I write harder code, and I reduce my capacity, and the capacity of my team mates and my project.

We reduce the impact of next year's perspective on last year's code by making conscious efforts toward perfection in the present - which is the only point in time that we can actually make a difference in regards to code quality and solubility.

Care about your code « Pistalwhipped! wrote Care about your code « Pistalwhipped!
on 04-06-2008 2:33 PM

Pingback from  Care about your code « Pistalwhipped!