MSDN - Is it worth it?

I am pondering whether to renew my MSDN subscription for my company and my personal work

I can't remember the last time I even downloaded something from MSDN and now that news hit that they are removing the Office suite from downloadable products to use for testing and development, I really am not sure how relevant it is.

I use Visual Studio and would be content with simply the Standard edition with resharper without the MSDN stuff. That's at least $900 less than the simplest MSDN subscription. I never touch the db stuff in Visual Studio as I use Enterprise Manager and I don't even touch SSRS as I use DevXPress reporting solutions.

Everything else I work with is OSS .

What do you think? What do you do? What value is there in MSDN that I am overlooking?

Posted 10-03-2007 10:02 AM by Michael Nichols

Comments

todd brooks wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-03-2007 1:30 PM

Where did you read MSDN isn't providing Office anymore?  The official MSDN Subscriptions blog mentions nothing about it, except that they are re-releasing Office due to some "litigation concerns" with different activation methods.  see here: blogs.msdn.com/.../update-on-office-2003-office-xp-plans.aspx

On a side note: I would be interested in hearing your pro's and con's about using DevExpress' XtraReports product, as I'm about to start a new dev product and that is the reporting product we will be using.

Derik Whittaker wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-03-2007 1:50 PM

We have the MSDN here and i have used it many of times.  It is nice because i can get copies of OS's for testing or simply download the software i need without having to go to either the help desk or to our infrastructure team.

Joe wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-03-2007 2:09 PM

"What value is there in MSDN that I am overlooking?"

Free magazine subscription?

"Great Plains" or whatever all that crap is thats been available for a couple of years but you've never even heard of otherwise?

Windows 95/98/ME on demand?

Eric wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-03-2007 2:30 PM

I decided to forgo the MSDN subscription and purchase the standard edition for the same reasons that you are considering.  We had a subscription for a couple of years and never used it much.

I have been using standard edition + resharper + OSS tools for a while now and I haven't missed the MSDN subscription at all.

Mike Nichols - Son Of Nun Technology wrote RE: Are MSDN Subscriptions Worth It?
on 10-03-2007 3:00 PM

Mike asks a good question MSDN - Is it worth it? I have two, count em, 2 subscriptions (work + MVP)

Brendan Tompkins wrote RE: MSDN Subscriptions - Are The Worth It?
on 10-03-2007 3:03 PM

sotto wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-03-2007 3:46 PM

Maybe the microsoft action pack  might be interesting for you?

Mike wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-03-2007 5:08 PM

@todd - RE: Office...After reading this(blogs.msdn.com/.../30-days-and-counting.aspx)  and noticing the dates of the posting I realize this is late news...I misunderstood. Even so, the Office availiability is still minor to me.

@Derrick - I can see value in that but it just isn't something I require right now. Especially since I am the infrastructure team and help desk. :)

@Joe - That's funny. I guess $900 for a magazine isn'bad

@Eric - It's good to hear my reasoning isn't alone.

@sotto - maybe but I know nothing about it

windywinter wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-04-2007 6:53 AM
First you argue "hey are removing the Office suite" and someone replies that it is not true and you change your mind "Even so, the Office availiability is still minor to me." It seems that you are frustrated of paying for MSDN but you don't know exactly why: - First think - Then write post Compare subscriptions! You can live without MSDN too!
Mike wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-04-2007 1:04 PM

@Windywinter - Thanks for the deep insight and profound instruction. Before passing on MSDN I actually wanted to hear from developers who generate light, not heat, about things I may be missing out on regarding my MSDN subscription which would justify my company's expenditure. Since I don't know as much as you do I ask questions. If you first read, then think, then you'd observe MS Office is a peripheral issue in my posting.

andrew finkenstadt wrote re: MSDN - Is it worth it?
on 10-07-2007 11:42 AM

If microsoft's partner signup website would ever resume working, I'd be the newest "Empower ISV" partner specifically to get the MSDN subscription:

US$375 and 10 user licenses for most of the operating systems, and 1 license for most of the server products, is certainly less expensive than buying even one copy of 2003 Server Standard, and it comes with Office 2003 or 2007, and all the development tools, each of which costs more than the initial outlay.

... and then I could develop some perforce tools to embed within VS2005/2008.