Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1

Since updating to SP1 on Vista my notepad replacement was copied over and re-replaced with the ghetto notepad offering in Windows.

So I went back to this site and got the directions again for copying the Notepad replacement exe you can find here into my Windows directory.

One thing I make a note for my future reference here is to remember to not only change the owner on the notepad.exe in C:\Windows and C:\Windows\system32 but you must also change the permissions settings on 'Administrators' to 'Full Control' or else the copy operation into the OS directory will not succeed.

Posted 03-20-2008 9:14 AM by Michael Nichols
Filed under: ,

Comments

Elroy wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 03-28-2008 12:30 PM

I agree, Notepad++ is great, but why install it as an imposter of Notepad.exe?  Replacing MS-provided exes with your own -  that's just asking for trouble.  Notepad++ should be installed as designed, as NotePad++.exe.  Then associate it with all the file types now associated with Notepad (e.g., .txt)

Mike wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 03-28-2008 2:26 PM

@Elroy-

"why install it as an imposter of Notepad.exe" ..simple...i can hit WindowsKey+not and get notepad++...not the useless app windows includes.

"that's just asking for trouble"...can you elaborate the problems you have had replacing notepad.exe?

Never had a problem and people smarter than me have seemed not to have issues with this...

Elroy wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 03-28-2008 6:15 PM

One example of "trouble" would be the reconfiguring you have to do after upgrading windows.  <s>

Replacing files in the Windows folder is something that viruses do.  As those referenced instructions indicate, you have to take special steps to overcome the protections against this that Windows  and some anti-virus software impose.

And it seems unecessary.

Your use of the "windows key + not" could work just as well with notepad++ couldn't it?  You just need to place notepad++ on your start menu instead of notepad.

BTW, You could get an even faster shortcut this way:

1) Get a notepad++ shortcut on your start menu by draggin it there.

2) right-click properties to bring up its property window.

3) tab down to the "Shortcut key" field.

4) press some key combination like "ctrl-shift-N"

Now you can bring up notepad++ with a single keystroke (ok, three fingers, but 1 stroke <s>)

Regards.

Ed wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 03-31-2008 12:00 PM

The reason I want to replace notepad.exe is that I want to use my notepad everywhere and under every condition that notepad would be used by any other application or file type without having to hack up the registry entries or fiddle with application .ini files.  I just want my notepad to be the system default notepad.

Mark W wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 04-16-2008 1:00 AM

Elroy, while his passion seems genuine, what he is saying is not accurate.

Replacing notepad.exe with Notepad2 or Notepad++ (I prefer Notepad2) in the Windows directories is not "trouble".

Instead of registering all of your .txt, and various other documents you want to the new executable, this is the shortcut.  Leave the extentions alone, replace the program that opens them.

No harm, no foul.  Luckily for us, notepad.exe is not a critical system file.

Zexy wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 05-02-2008 9:27 PM

Me thinks person A(Elroy) worries too much about what other persons B,C,D,etc(Mike,Ed,etc.) do to their own systems. Must be some secret clause in the MS EULA that I missed.

Live and let live. No need to worry about others unless their actions are illegal and detrimental to society at large. :)

yman wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 10-14-2008 3:58 AM

I use for editing Notepad++ because is a very complex program and support languages like C; C++; Java; C#; XML; HTML; PHP; CSS; makefile ASCII art (.nfo); doxygen ini file and other. Olso you can edit several documents at the same time. I got it from here: <a href="www.rosoftdownload.com/.../a>

Alex wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 03-10-2009 12:53 PM

Guys, I have exactly the same problem replacing. The person asked a question, and instead of direct answer you start wiggling. Just admit you don't know how.

Tammuz wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 03-17-2009 6:55 PM

Rights granted.

Copy succesful. Pressing F4 in Total Commander brings up the ORIGINAL MS notepad. :'(

Accessing Notepad through Start menu = ORISGINAL MS notpad.

So still it Sucks. :S

Any solution?

64bit Vista + 5.2 N.P.P.

Darren M wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 07-11-2009 10:33 AM

OK, I'm late to the game, and I'm posting to an old blog entry... Sue me.

What about with Vista SP2? Or is it just me?

Installed the new notepad.exe, and it works -- kinda. I use 7-zip for archives, and double-clicking on a notepad-type file (eg a .txt file) in the 7-zip file manager opens notepad++ fine, but the document doesn't.

If I had to guess... the new notepad.exe doesn't handle OLE?

Mike wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 07-11-2009 4:30 PM

@Darren

I have not had difficulty on my Vista SP2 machine but have not tried it with 7zip. Have you checked with them? I am curious about that

selyb wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1
on 08-29-2009 6:00 PM

I wrote a tutorial on how to do this without modifying any system files or permissions and works on any windows NT

www.vistax64.com/.../244527-programs-replace-system-program-without-modifying-system-files-permissions.html

selyb wrote re: Replacing Notepad with Notepad++ on Vista after SP1