.NET & Funky Fresh

• <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&amp;MarketPlace=US&amp;ID=V20070822/US/bluspiconinc-20/8001/8b68bf4b-6724-40e7-99a5-a6decf6d8648"> </script>
Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)

I have high hopes for Silverlight, but I just can't ignore the amazing stuff that is happening with Flash!  Adobe just released the Beta 1 of Flash 10 which supports hardware accelerated 3D, shader effects and an advanced  drawing api.  Basically, all the stuff that is in the recent WPF SP1 Beta.  Except Adobe's implementation is cross browser, cross platform, of course.  You can see some demos and learn more here.  Does Silverlight have any tricks up its sleeve?  I hope so, for its sake.

Posted 05-15-2008 1:13 PM by Rob Eisenberg
Filed under: , , ,

Comments

Chad Myers wrote re: Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)
on 05-15-2008 2:23 PM
While that's helpful, Flex (their business app side of Flash) is floundering with a horrible IDE and other poor showings for developer tool support and a bastardized version of JavaScript (called ActionScript) which seems to have the worst of both the Dynamic and the Static typed language features. Silverlight has better tools and better language support, and when IronRuby + Silverlight goes live, it will be really hard to justify using Flex.
Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)
on 05-15-2008 3:24 PM

I agree with regard to Adobe's tooling, but FlashDevelop is pretty good.  And although I haven't had the chance to use ActionScript 3.0 yet, I understand that it is significantly improved from 2.0, which is exactly as you describe.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next couple years.

Granville Barnett wrote re: Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)
on 05-15-2008 4:13 PM
Strong competition is good competition. I'm not sure I agree with Chad but Silverlight will definatley have a very strong ecosystem in the future with regards to the language support and APIs available.
Joe wrote re: Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)
on 05-15-2008 5:24 PM
is it hardware accelerated 3D, I've read some posts saying it's not and some saying it is. I would have thought it would be very difficult to convert the flash gradiant model to hardware GPU based gradients.
Rod wrote re: Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)
on 05-15-2008 10:23 PM
I kind of wish that MS would buy out flash, make better development tools and just add to it...
Dew Drop - May 16, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - May 16, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 05-16-2008 8:42 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - May 16, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

Fallon Massey wrote re: Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)
on 05-27-2008 7:59 PM
The text engine is HUGE! Microsoft needs to have a text engine like that, and it's shocking that the makers of Word could ship a product with text handling as poor as it is in SilverLight. Text is FUNDAMENTAL!
Christopher Bennage wrote re: Flash takes it up a notch! (or two...maybe three...)
on 05-29-2008 9:41 PM
Actually, some might be inclined to say that it's not too shocking that the makers of Word would drop the ball when it comes to _real_ text handing. Now I didn't say that, but some might...