.NET & Funky Fresh

• <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&amp;MarketPlace=US&amp;ID=V20070822/US/bluspiconinc-20/8001/8b68bf4b-6724-40e7-99a5-a6decf6d8648"> </script>
Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!

Caliburn is a framework designed to aid in the development of WPF and Silverlight applications. It implements a variety of UI patterns that are geared towards solving problems encountered in real-world scenarios.

It's goals are:

• Support building WPF/SL application that are TDD friendly.
  • Implement functionality for simplifying various UI design patterns in WPF/SL.  These patterns include MVC, MVP, Presentation Model (MVVM), etc.
  • Ease the use of a DI container with WPF/SL.
  • Simplify or provide alternatives to common WPF/SL related tasks.
  • Provide solutions to common UI architecture problems.

This new version contains support for two primary features: Actions and Commands.

Actions were primarily inspired by frameworks like Monorail and ASP.NET MVC.  Caliburn attempts to bring this methodology of UI architecture to WPF and Silverlight.  Using this feature allows developers to eliminate the need for code behind files by allowing UI components to bind directly to methods on other classes.  Actions supports a rich set of features such as auto determination of input parameters, databinding of return values, filters, automatic asynchronous code execution, UI updates based on action availability, etc.

Commands are built on top of Actions and enable the GOF Command pattern.  This implementation is unrelated to the native WPF implementation and (IMHO) is superior to it in a variety of ways.  Commands have all the features of Actions.  Additionally, commands can be linked to form composite command chains.

Now that I have the code up, I'll be spending some time blogging about how to use the specific features.  In the mean time, there are nine samples for both WPF and Silverlight that demonstrate the basic usage of these features.

You can find the project site here.

Posted 10-12-2008 10:03 PM by Rob Eisenberg

Comments

DotNetKicks.com wrote Caliburn Alpha for WPF and Silverlight is here!
on 10-12-2008 10:58 PM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here! - .NET & Funky Fresh wrote Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here! - .NET &amp; Funky Fresh
on 10-12-2008 11:50 PM

Pingback from  Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here! - .NET &amp; Funky Fresh

Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here! | Silverlight Guide wrote Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here! | Silverlight Guide
on 10-13-2008 3:47 AM

Pingback from  Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here! | Silverlight Guide

Dew Drop - October 13, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - October 13, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 10-13-2008 8:07 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - October 13, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

Corey wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-13-2008 11:04 AM
I love the Caliburn messages. A more comprehensive sample, doesn't have to be pretty, but something that demonstrates swapping out views / transitions would go a long ways I think.
Chris Ortman wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-13-2008 12:43 PM
Looking at the code I don't see any references to the Silverlight assemblies. Are you just building for WPF right now and SL comes later or am I missing something? Thanks
Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-13-2008 4:05 PM

Nope.  The current version supports both WPF and Siilverlight.  You have to run the build.  It compiles the same code against the WPF assemblies and then the Silverlight assemblies.  The solution file just happens to be for WPF.

appakz wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-15-2008 2:23 PM
Looks interesting, I'll have to check this out. Also, I wanted to see if you were going to post any of the sample code from the "building up" architecture talk that you gave at the code camp. As I mentioned, I've been getting more interested in dependancy injection and IoC, and wanted to see some live example if I could.
Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-15-2008 9:57 PM

@appakz

Thanks for reminding me about code camp.  I'll get the slides and samples up on the code camp site soon.

Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-15-2008 9:58 PM

@Corey

I'm trying to think up a useful idea for a more comprehensive sample.  Any ideas you have would be welcome.

Srdjan wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-16-2008 10:55 AM

looks very interesting...

Corey wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-17-2008 9:37 AM
Something I think that might be useful is a shopping / cart sample. One that might possibly be able to demonstrate between both Silverlight and WPF. A simple list view to add items, a view for the cart, and a confirmation view on checkout might be a good way to demonstrate at least what I was hoping for.
Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-17-2008 9:51 AM

Interesting idea.  I hadn't thought of something quite like that.  I was thinking about building a simple time tracking application, actually.  My company has a practical need for it.  I'll ponder a more.

Corey wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-18-2008 12:27 PM

I really have no preference, just tossing the idea out there. I would say if you have a practical need then definitely go for that.

Igor wrote re: Caliburn Alpha for WPF AND Silverlight is Here!
on 10-21-2008 8:18 PM
Hi. Can you give direct url to the nine samples of Caliburn? I can't find them.