.NET & Funky Fresh

• <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&amp;MarketPlace=US&amp;ID=V20070822/US/bluspiconinc-20/8001/8b68bf4b-6724-40e7-99a5-a6decf6d8648"> </script>
GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3!

Yes, you read that right.  Check out ScottGu's blog for the proof.  Let the good times roll...

Posted 11-17-2008 8:42 AM by Rob Eisenberg
Filed under: , , , ,

Comments

GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3! - .NET & Funky Fresh wrote GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3! - .NET &amp; Funky Fresh
on 11-17-2008 9:39 AM

Pingback from  GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3! - .NET &amp; Funky Fresh

GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3! | Silverlight Guide wrote GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3! | Silverlight Guide
on 11-17-2008 11:07 AM

Pingback from  GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3! | Silverlight Guide

Jordan wrote re: GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3!
on 11-18-2008 3:47 PM
I read this on ScottGu's blog yesterday, but as of yet I haven't seen any explanation of how they plan to enable hardware acceleration on non-Windows platforms. Is Silverlight going to work with OpenGL? Is there going to be some form of DirectX ported to OS X and lunix specifically for Silverlight to utilize? This is what interests me the most!
Christopher Bennage wrote re: GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3!
on 11-18-2008 6:02 PM
@Jordan - I'd be really, really surprised if they implemented DirectX on another OS. I strongly suspect it will use existing native apis.
mrmx wrote re: GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3!
on 11-18-2008 7:29 PM
RE: how they plan to enable hardware acceleration on non-Windows platforms Flash 10 lets you send commands to the GPU via their renderer and script engine. e.g. when I was programming on Windows NT, I could script the serial and parallel ports without actually having to use assembly language statements since the DriverX Toolkit (if I remember the name right) took my scripts and passed them down, in some form or the other, into their driver which ultimately executed the necessary assembly. The reason why I didn't want to use assembly language myself was because NT was a multi-user environment and thus "reserving ports" was important to avoid multi-user conflicts. Flash works the same way since Flash needs to rotate and process image bits so that's why they'll give you a hook to run GPU scripts since your GPU scripts need to cooperate with what Flash needs to do.
Chris Klug wrote re: GPU Acceleration and 3D in Silverlight 3!
on 01-15-2009 8:17 AM
As far as I understand it, it will not actually be GPU support for 3D. It's going to be hardware support for overlays and some other stuff I think. The 3D features will actually only be the ability to transform objects making them appear as 3D. And basically it will be appearing like a square that has one edge shorter than the rest... Did that make sense? I hope so...