.NET & Funky Fresh

• <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&amp;MarketPlace=US&amp;ID=V20070822/US/bluspiconinc-20/8001/8b68bf4b-6724-40e7-99a5-a6decf6d8648"> </script>
Porting NHProf from WPF to Silverlight – Day 4

On Tuesday I spent a decent amount of time fleshing out the last remaining features under the Options menu. I then did some general reorganization to the project structure. Along with the port to Silverlight, I’ve been upgrading the application to use Caliburn 2.0 which is working out exceedingly well :) In fact, some of Caliburn’s features are making it very easy to work around the differences between the WPF and Silverlight platforms. After the reorganization, I decided I would start porting over the reports.  As has been my pattern, below is a screenshot and the list of *new* issues I encountered. I’m really glad there weren’t as many as on Monday…

NHProf Day 4

1. UpdateSourceTrigger=PropertyChanged is missing.  There are workarounds which wire for events and manually update the bindings. I used Caliurn 2.0’s C over C binding to do this automatically :)
  2. RelativeSource FindAncestor is missing. Fortunately, I replaced our homegrown grid with the Silverlight DataGrid and was able to eliminate the need for this in this scenario.
  3. Hyperlink.Tag is is missing. Strange isn’t it.  I reworked the code to use a HyperlinkButton.
  4. Binding.StringFormat syntax is different. In WPF, you escape like this Text="{Binding AverageStatementsPerSession, StringFormat={}{0:0.#},FallbackValue=0}"  but that causes a compile-time error in Silverlight.  What is worse is that it doesn’t tell you where. It just complains that there is something wrong with a markup extensions somewhere in your Xaml. I fixed it with the following change  Text="{Binding AverageStatementsPerSession, StringFormat=\{0:0.#\},FallbackValue=0}"
  5. GridSplitter is missing ResizeBehavior and ResizeDirection.  Fortunately, it seams to work pretty well without them. I have a couple of issues with this that I still need to look into though.

Posted 04-01-2010 2:36 PM by Rob Eisenberg

Comments

Josh Schwartzberg wrote re: Porting NHProf from WPF to Silverlight – Day 4
on 04-01-2010 3:24 PM

This series of posts is close to a situation I'm dealing with...  glad to see someone else struggle with the differences too!  Are you going to maintain two codebases or try to use the new code for a single codebase using the the lowest-common-denominator (Silverlight) ?

Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Porting NHProf from WPF to Silverlight – Day 4
on 04-01-2010 3:35 PM

We are going to drop the WPF version once we get the Silverlight version up and running.

Josh Schwartzberg wrote re: Porting NHProf from WPF to Silverlight – Day 4
on 04-04-2010 5:35 PM

Wow, that's bold

J wrote re: Porting NHProf from WPF to Silverlight – Day 4
on 04-06-2010 3:24 AM

Just curious, but how are you going to "push" things to the Silverlight client? I haven't used SL much at all, but what I've heard it primarily uses WCF to fetch data...

Or will the client "poll" for changes or are you going to use something else? RIA?

Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Porting NHProf from WPF to Silverlight – Day 4
on 04-06-2010 9:32 AM

The architecture already uses a polling technique. Originally, we had designed the system to push changes to the front end, but we found out that was just not performant enough. Some time back we switched to a snapshot-based polling mechanism, so that should work nicely with the Silverlight client as well.