.NET & Funky Fresh

• <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&amp;MarketPlace=US&amp;ID=V20070822/US/bluspiconinc-20/8001/8b68bf4b-6724-40e7-99a5-a6decf6d8648"> </script>
Mix Open Call Submission

Warning! Shameless self-promotion to follow…

Please take some time to vote for this year’s Mix Open Call Sessions. I’ve submitted only one session this year and I’m hoping that it will get voted in. I’m really excited about what I’ve been working on and would love the opportunity to share it at Mix11. Below is the talk description (is it a bit familiar?) and the abstract along with a link you can use to vote for it. Thanks!

Build Your Own MVVM Framework...with HTML and Javascript

In this talk we'll look at a prototype Javascript framework designed to bring the Silverlight MVVM workflow to pure Javascript and HTML. We'll look at how easy it can be to:

• Write Modular Javascript and HTML
  • Leverage Databinding
  • Handle Asynchronous Programming with C#5-style Asynchrony in Javascript
  • Apply Convention over Configuration
  • Use Screens, Conductors, EventAggregators, etc.

Many of the features you will see demonstrated are based on the ideas of the Caliburn.Micro framework, but have been implemented using idiomatic Javascript in a way that works even on IE6.

VOTE HERE

Posted 01-25-2011 9:12 AM by Rob Eisenberg

Comments

J Healy wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-25-2011 10:05 AM

Definitely voting for this...

DaRage wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-25-2011 10:09 AM

I love your approach to UI architecture and I look forward to this talk.

Ritesh Rao wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-25-2011 10:25 AM

Hell yeah! Looking forward to this...

Thanh Khong wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-25-2011 11:56 AM

Sounds interesting!

Sergey Shishkin wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-25-2011 3:07 PM

Looks interesting. The first sentence of the abstract can be confused with the "prototype.js" framework however.

Vadim wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-25-2011 3:33 PM

Please do some Reactive Extensions! That's so cool stuff.

MichaelD! wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-25-2011 7:20 PM

Javascript?! HTML??? Say it's not so!  What a heart-breaker.

Ian Lovell wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-26-2011 6:01 AM

Hey Rob, this sounds fantastic!  Is this similar in concept to Steve Sanderson's Knockout library? http://knockoutjs.com/

Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-26-2011 8:51 AM

@Ian

The framework I'm working on actually leverages Knockoutjs directly in much the same way that Caliburn.Micro leverages WPF/SL/WP7 Databinding. So, Knockoutjs is a foundational technology, but I add a lot on top of it and combine it with other foundational technologies. Everything is integrated in an opinionated way such that the development experience is very much like Caliburn.Micro.

Ian Lovell wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-26-2011 9:19 AM

I can't wait Rob, that sounds awesome! I've been looking into Knockout, and Steve is giving a talk on MVC3/Razor/Knockout on Feb 15th.  Do you have any timescales in mind for releases?  Will this be part of the main Caliburn.Micro trunk?

Rob Eisenberg wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission
on 01-26-2011 9:31 AM

It's not part of Caliburn.Micro. It will be its own project, but my personal goal is that Caliburn.Micro users will be able to pick it up and get going quickly. No timescales in mind just yet. I still have a lot of work to do and it's likely that it still won't be production ready by Mix. I'm going to be using Mix (if I get selected) as a way to find out relative interest in seeing the framework progress. If things go well, I'll see what I can do. It's much like what I did last year. I showed a simple MVVM framework for Silverlight and there was so much interest in it, including several companies who wanted it, that I spent the time to build Caliburn.Micro. I'm hoping for something like that again.

Scott Allen wrote re: Mix Open Call Submission