Gems For .NET – Community Response

There has been a lot of response in the community about this gems idea we’ve been talking about. I even had the opportunity to sit down with Nick Quaranto, the guy behind Rubygems.org, over coffee Sunday and talk about where we think we are going and what it will take to get there.

One of the biggest things that everyone wants to see carrying this idea forward is that we migrate off of Rubygems.org and have our own gem server. And we all agree this is a great idea. There are just two things that really keep that from happening at the current moment. The devil is in the details and when we are ready to move off to our own server, it’s real money at that point (to do it right).

Right now we are embracing the idea of “one community,” and we are certainly not the first non-ruby community to use RubyGems.org. Long term a different host for the .net gems will be both necessary and beneficial. As we move off, we’ll be able to even expand some of the things we can do as far as checking gems as they are published to make sure they meet certain constraints.

If you are concerned about getting started versus later migrating – the process will be well thought out and seamless for the user experience of getting your gems and pushing them. The user experience is still going to be rock solid, and the same concept of gem install gemname is going to be there no matter what happens.

And for you gem owners – we’ll be working closely with Nick to ensure that the process is still rockstar.

The more community involvement there is from you and others like you, the faster we move to our own servers. And as far as when, well that all depends on you.

Posted 07-19-2010 1:28 PM by Rob Reynolds
Filed under: ,

Comments

Eric Hauser wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-19-2010 3:07 PM

Have you talked to the guys at Sonatype?  I believe Nexus can work as a Gem server.

Rob Reynolds wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-19-2010 3:35 PM

@Eric: Haven't yet. More information would be awesome!

Rob Reynolds - The Fervent Coder wrote How To - Gems And .NET
on 07-19-2010 10:21 PM

In my last post I showed gems being used for .NET. Now let’s talk about How.  Most of this stuff

Rob Reynolds - The Fervent Coder wrote How To – Gems And .NET – Dependencies (References)
on 07-19-2010 10:31 PM

In my last post I didn’t mention dependencies.  Dependencies are their own animal. They require

Christof Jans wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-20-2010 10:07 AM

How does this compare to (microsoft sponsored) Coapp (http://coapp.org/) ?

Rob Reynolds wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-20-2010 10:51 AM

@ChristofJans: I believe it is a direct competitor, much like horn, OpenWrap, and Bricks

Brendan wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-21-2010 11:43 AM

Rob,

Is this something that Codebetter can help out with?   Talk to me offline about what we could do to support this.

Rob Reynolds wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-21-2010 2:56 PM

@Brendan: Will do - thanks!

Derick Bailey wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-24-2010 10:22 AM

FINALLY! someone gets it! thanks you, Rob!

I have wanted to do a series of blog posts on this for a long time, but I have never found the time to really dig into it other than some simple proof of concepts to show that RubyGems.org can be used for .net.

i'm excited to see you going down this path instead of trying to re-invent the wheel like all those other projects are doing.

i'm hopeful that the rest of the .net community will recognize your work and "see the light" :)

Rob Reynolds wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 07-24-2010 11:40 PM
Rob Reynolds - The Fervent Coder wrote The Future of .NET Open Source Software Delivery
on 07-26-2010 4:14 PM

Imagine we are awhile into the future. How do you get open source releases down to your project so that

Rob Reynolds - The Fervent Coder wrote How To – UppercuT and Gems
on 07-26-2010 4:40 PM

In a previous post I mentioned how I was going to show you how UppercuT (UC) has the ability to make

sad day wrote re: Gems For .NET – Community Response
on 08-02-2010 4:33 PM

Its funny, somewhere back in like 1995-7 I owned "gems.org" and being young and not having any direct use for it... I decided to let it expire.

I still kick myself to this day.