And the winner is... VB.NET ?!

Every time I see an updated version of the TIOBE index it strikes me differently. Sometimes I'm surprised to see some programming languages in the TOP 20 that I didn't even know existed (happens all the time,) sometimes it's the realization of the languages on the rise like Ruby and Lua in recent years.

Take a look at this month's list.

1 Java 20.176%

15 Pascal 0.498%

16 Lisp/Scheme 0.449%

17 Ada 0.431%

18 COBOL 0.411%

19 Lua 0.393%

20 FoxPro/xBase 0.385%

This month, although not new, what hit me was the state of the .Net languages. I'm definitely a C# guy. You'd have to tempt me with serious money to get me doing VB.Net again (IronRuby, on the other hand, would be a different story ;)

Although I'm not exactly surprised to see the .Net languages being dwarfed by other heavy hitters like Java and C, which enjoy a little more platform-independence, it's always an humbling effect seeing VB that far ahead of C#.

The interesting thing with this index is how it is built. It serves as a good thermometer to what kind of support you can expect to find on the Internet for that language. That's why it surprises me in relation to Visual Basic in particular.

I understand the index lumps together VB.NET, VB6, plain Basic, etc, but the non-Net versions of VB have been considered legacy for so long now that I tend to think VB.NET is indeed what is pushing Visual Basic to the top.

Maybe it's just because "Visual Basic" or "VB" as much easier search terms than "C#", "CSharp", "C-sharp", etc.

I've been reading about .Net online for almost 8 years now and C# has always seemed more prevalent than VB.NET in article, samples, documentation, and Open Source projects.

What about you? Anything interesting in this list? Is VB really the bomb?

Posted 05-18-2008 10:32 PM by sergiopereira
Filed under: ,

Comments

Peter Ritchie wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-18-2008 11:55 PM

Now that's interesting.  The word I got was VB programmers were always complaining that it's all about C# with .NET programming resources.

Jak Charlton wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-19-2008 3:17 AM

@Peter

Proportionally, they are probably right ...

VB is still used in far more places, and in far more scenarios, than it would be wise to admit .... but then so is COBOL!

Yann Trevin wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-19-2008 4:41 AM

As a software engineer (C#) in a non-IT industry, I have noticed how people are obstinately tight to VB6 (even not VB.NET) I would say that the major reason is that most of the time, those are people who have to do occasionally "some" programming in their job, and who <u>HATE</u> it! So they just simply refuse to invest one single minute of their precious time into looking for other programming technologies. Hopeless...

Kyle Baley wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-19-2008 10:02 AM

The numbers themselves only tell part of the story. The full story shows the trend which was more interesting. I didn't expect C# to be in a decline over the last few years.

Notes From My Basement wrote Language of choice wake up call
on 05-19-2008 2:08 PM

Language of choice wake up call

sergiopereira wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-19-2008 3:31 PM

@Casey, I think Peter's point was in regards to the amount of available material in VB, and that was my original surprise. I guess we could all agree that VB is in fact more deployed than C#, the thing with the TIOBE index is that it more or less measures the amount of buzz around the language. In that respect I did find surprising that VB was on top.

Grant Palin wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-19-2008 6:44 PM

Hah, so take that, C#!!

Can you tell I like VB.NET?

Bill Booth wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-19-2008 9:41 PM

@Yann

I work in a non IT industry as well and there is a tendency to hold on to VB 6 and yes we still have tons of COBOL. I don’t think most businesses care much what language is used they look at it strictly from a $$$ standpoint.

sg wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-19-2008 11:24 PM

No one asked me what I program with...

VB is horrible, aweful horrible.  Ugliness mess I've ever seen.

Must be the dumbing of the masses.  Any dimass can mess up VB right

lol

chrism wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-22-2008 4:28 PM

According to Google Trends C# comes out on top:

www.google.com/trends

Weely Links #2 | GrantPalin.com wrote Weely Links #2 | GrantPalin.com
on 05-25-2008 7:27 PM

Pingback from  Weely Links #2 | GrantPalin.com

grinn.net wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 05-27-2008 7:20 AM

The thing that all the languages above C# (on the list) have in common is they all have been around since at least the early 90's. C# is a fairly young language, relatively speaking.

YingYang wrote re: And the winner is... VB.NET ?!
on 10-11-2008 12:50 AM

The 10.782% of Visual Basic is not just from VB.NET. It included Visual Basic Classic, QBasic, RealBasic, etc. Besides, I believe that the usage of VB6 still more that VB.NET.

That said, VB.NET itself can be less than 5%.

Sergio Pereira wrote The Ground is Shaking Again. Get Mobile.
on 06-17-2010 7:42 AM

A little over two years ago I commented how surprising it was that VisualBasic was still more popular