The new crop of .NET Screencasts

I finally carved up some time and watched the first episode of Steve Bohlen's Summer of NHibernate. These are sessions that Steve recorded for his team's Dine and Discuss events and he was kind enough to share with the entire community.

Steve undoubtfully knows his stuff and how to explain the topic with the right amount of details and sprinkled with lots of insightful comments. I'm looking forward to watching the other sessions soon.

It takes a lot of effort to put a screencast like that together and I admire the people that create and make them available to us. I think screencasts are quickly becoming the best way to learn a new technology or tool. Imagine the number of hours I would have to spend reading a NHibernate book, 20 or 30 hours for a slow reader like myself? The amount of information you can get from videos, especially screencasts where you feel like you're in a coding session with the author, just can't be matched by a book.

Screencasts aren't without problems either. They're expensive to host, stream, and download. They're typically not searchable. You need a computer so you can't just have them on your side table (no, I'm not gonna watch them on an iPod, sorry.) They don't substitute reference material, which is not really a problem, just not the role of this medium. I can't watch them during my commute because I'm a responsible driver.

I'm happy to see a lot of new sources of .Net screencasts and I wish I had time to watch them all. Here's a list of screencast series that I watch/watched/will watch.

.NET Screencasts

Non-.NET

• Railscasts: Great way to get familiar with Ruby on Rails development.
  • Peepcode: Commercial, inexpensive videos. At $9.00, they're a steal.
  • Pragmatic Programmer's screencasts: Since I'm big fan of these guys, I'm sure I'll buy at least a few of these very soon.

Posted 07-20-2008 6:49 PM by sergiopereira
Filed under: ,

Comments

codefather wrote re: The new crop of .NET Screencasts
on 07-20-2008 10:40 PM

You know, I do agree, Screencasts are the best way to learn new technology, and there are specialised websites cropping up to make them more accessible. Like www.codervods.com, that list many screencasts that can be found on the web.

Dew Drop - July 21, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - July 21, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 07-21-2008 8:04 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - July 21, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

Derik Whittaker wrote re: The new crop of .NET Screencasts
on 07-21-2008 8:14 AM

@Sergio,

Thanks for the shout-out.

Tim Barcz wrote re: The new crop of .NET Screencasts
on 07-23-2008 5:33 PM

Sergio,

+1 on the Steve Bohlen NHibernate series.  I'm on vacation right now and am loving watching them.  I watch one per night and they're very good.

I too am appreciative of all the great content coming out.  Podcasts are great but something about screencasts and the meshing of voice and video is unbeatable.

Is everyone paying for a Camtasia license to do these screencasts or are there other products that are making these screencasts possible?

Tim

Dan wrote re: The new crop of .NET Screencasts
on 04-28-2009 5:27 AM
sergiopereira wrote re: The new crop of .NET Screencasts
on 04-28-2009 8:38 AM

@Dan, I had never heard of that one before. After browsing through the archives I could not identify a theme to that site. It shoots in all directions. It also appears to not provide original content, just aggregate them.