Images in this post missing? We recently lost them in a site migration. We're working to restore these as you read this. Should you need an image in an emergency, please contact us at imagehelp@codebetter.com
Resharper an OutOfMemory Exceptions

My current project has an interesting story of being converted across platforms and programming languages. I hope I can talk about this conversion process some day (it was not manual).

One of the side effects of mass conversions like this is that the final result tends to carry over some weird patterns. These patterns used to make total sense in the previous programming language, but look very unnatural in the new one.

We ended up with some very large classes inside a single namespace that, while work exactly as in the previous language, cause an unusual amount of stress inside Visual Studio, especially with Resharper (version 4.1) installed. Resharper would halt with OutOfMemory exceptions all the time, until I disabled Code Analysis, arguably one of the most important features of that product.

Finally today a coworker pointed me to a fix for that. I'm still getting the exceptions if I turn on solution-wide error analysis, but I think I can live without that.

I haven't had a chance to try the nightly builds of Resharper 4.5. I have been told that those issues may go away.

UPDATE: I installed version 4.5 (build 1169.15) but it didn't help me. The only thing that changed was the layout of the error screen :) But I know my project is a tad extreme and I deserve to be punished for it.

Posted 02-03-2009 6:24 PM by sergiopereira

[Advertisement]

Comments

Corey wrote re: Resharper an OutOfMemory Exceptions
on 02-04-2009 10:01 AM
Dew Drop - February 4, 2009 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew wrote Dew Drop - February 4, 2009 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew
on 02-04-2009 11:59 AM

Pingback from  Dew Drop - February 4, 2009 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew

Jason Jarrett wrote re: Resharper an OutOfMemory Exceptions
on 02-18-2009 3:50 PM

I got the below bat script from a co-worker. I didn't spend any time researching what exactly was going on here, but It's solved my out of memory problems...

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC;

BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072

CALL vcvarsall.bat

editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

PAUSE

About The CodeBetter.Com Blog Network
CodeBetter.Com FAQ

Our Mission

Advertisers should contact Brendan

Subscribe
Google Reader or Homepage

del.icio.us CodeBetter.com Latest Items
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe with myFeedster
Add to My AOL
Furl CodeBetter.com Latest Items
Subscribe in Rojo

Member Projects
DimeCasts.Net - Derik Whittaker

Friends of Devlicio.us
Red-Gate Tools For SQL and .NET

NDepend

SlickEdit
 
SmartInspect .NET Logging
NGEDIT: ViEmu and Codekana
LiteAccounting.Com
DevExpress
Fixx
NHibernate Profiler
Unfuddle
Balsamiq Mockups
Scrumy
JetBrains - ReSharper
Umbraco
NServiceBus
RavenDb
Web Sequence Diagrams
Ducksboard<-- NEW Friend!

 



Site Copyright © 2007 CodeBetter.Com
Content Copyright Individual Bloggers

 

Community Server (Commercial Edition)