Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed

Today I was trying to install SQL 2008 on my box and the setup stopped after checking a bunch of rules. The error message was the title of this post.

A quick search on the internet revealed that somehow the installer didn't believe I had VS 2008 SP1 installed, which I did. The recommendations in the KB article were kind of insulting. There's no way I'd spend hours of my day uninstalling and reinstalling VS and SQL — sorry, no chance. I also could not accept not installing the Management Tools, for example. I also did not have any Express version of VS or SQL installed in this box.

A little snooping around with ProcMon led me to the following registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0\IDE\1033

In that key I noticed the suspicious values:

"SP"=dword:00000000
"SPIndex"=dword:00000000
"SPName"="RTM"

Without quitting the SQL server installer validaton screen, I changed these values to what you see below, crossed my fingers and rerun the installer validation, which passed!

"SP"=dword:00000001
"SPIndex"=dword:00000001
"SPName"="SP1"

Now, I didn't really guess those values. I looked in a sibling registry key (...Servicing\9.0\PRO\1033) and saw that it contained those new values, then I copied them.

I think I didn't break anything. So far all seems to be working. But, as usual with anything related to manual registry hacking, you have to be really insane to change your settings because you read on a random blog on the 'net. I'm just saying... Don't come crying if your house burns down because of this.

Posted 03-07-2010 4:43 AM by sergiopereira

Comments

Rob Reynolds wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 03-08-2010 10:17 PM

What does that say about you then? :D

sergiopereira wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 03-08-2010 10:45 PM

That I'm insane has been already established. But I didn't read these instructions anywhere, I came up with them by trial and error.

This is 100% original (and 100% risky) material, my friend ;)

We all know this will probably happen in a few years all over again with VS2010 and SQL 201x so maybe a similar tweak will help.

Ben Hanson wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 05-14-2010 11:15 AM

Don't forget to do this in the VSTS directory too - you're probably going to have issues going to 2008 R2 as well.

I've been upgrading my mobile dev machine to 2008 R2 and I actually did all the ridiculous things Microsoft suggested and uninstalled 2008 completely as I'm using 2010 anyway.. and that didn't do squat.  So I uninstalled everything else they suggested.  Still nothing.  Found your post here and checked for the entry you mentioned, but only VSTS was there, which had the same problem you describe.

Reran the check without leaving setup and everything worked.

Thanks!

dan wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 07-27-2010 7:38 PM

This tip got me through the install, but elements of the install still failed for the stated reason, including Management Studio.

bob wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 11-11-2010 4:43 PM

On my machine, I had to make changes here in order for it to work:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VNS\Servicing\9.0\EXP\1033

Good Luck!

Ani wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 12-23-2010 3:01 PM

Thank you soooo much.

It worked for me too. Though I had to make the similar changes at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0\PRO\1033

Vo Hoai LEn wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 02-24-2011 11:03 AM

You might get entangled while reinstalling SQL Server 2008 on a PC where VS 2008 has already been installed before. Simple way to resolve this scenario is to install VS 2008 SP1 on the machine. Various routes which can be taken are:

· Install Visual Studio 2008 SP1 before you install SQL Server 2008

OR

· Uninstall Visual Studio 2008, and then install SQL Server 2008. After SQL Server 2008 is installed, you can install Visual Studio 2008, and then install Visual Studio 2008 SP1.

OR

Do not install the following components of SQL Server 2008:

· Management Tools (Basic or Complete)

· Integration Services

· Business Intelligence Development Studio

For all the scenarios you can refer to the following KB article:

support.microsoft.com/.../956139

infoexpert wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 04-14-2011 8:33 AM

Cool, it is works for me Windows 7x64 Prof

"SP"=1

"SPIndex"=1

"SPName"="SP1"

Thanks guys!

Mark wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 10-05-2011 3:02 PM

thanks for the help, this worked.

Hashim wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 10-12-2011 9:03 AM

Thanks for the Help. but my Question is that from where we can open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

on 10-14-2011 9:26 AM

@Hashim, in case you haven't figured it out yet, look for "Registry Editor" (regedit.exe)

lorraine wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 01-17-2012 1:33 AM

It doesn't work.

bob paarlberg wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 02-28-2012 5:13 PM

Used regedit on an xp and it worked fine.  The SP1 was only updating the VC 9 and not VB.  So i just took the values from VC9 and pasted into VB.  Re-run gave me the ok on SQL management studio install rules.

Jelucky wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 06-30-2012 9:19 AM

this look simple and easy it really passed.very kind

"SP"=1

"SPIndex"=1

"SPName"="SP1"

Thanks guys! Kind support

Dinesh Kw wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 07-28-2012 12:14 AM

Tnks u sooooo much...good answer

Ashu wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 09-16-2012 12:13 PM

Thnx alot it worked in my case ....

gio wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 09-23-2012 9:50 AM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\

does not exist in Windows XP, if Im not mistaken its only available to some specific OS of Windows.

buzz wrote re: Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed
on 11-12-2012 12:32 AM

hey guys, my system doesn't seem to have this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0\VSTS\1033

but it has

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\10.0\expbsln\1033 with SP, SPINDEX AND SPNAME as 0x000000,0x000000 and RTM respectively.

please what do i do?