Your ASP.NET Web Application Subversion Repository Structures

I've been looking all over for some good, real-world example subversion structures for ASP.NET websites and have only come across a few.  I haven't really used any source control other than storing my code in a repository so it's not just on one computer.

I've found a blog that has a lot of good examples (http://ariejan.net/2006/11/24/svn-how-to-structure-your-repository/) but there's nothing for specific examples for an ASP.NET.  There's some good ideas I found here (http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?dotnet.12.406052.3) but nothing about the best way to do it.

I like the idea of the standard branches/tags/trunk, but does that always work on large scale web applications?  I started populating the trunk with the following folders:

• Database - contains a Red-Gate SQL Compare Snapshot of the database
  • LLBLGen - contains the LLBLGenPro v. 2 project
  • Libs - all .dll files that do not have source code associated with them, such as telerik controls, infragistics controls, browserhawk files, etc...
  • Source - root for any class libraries, projects get their own folder on a per project basis
  • Webroot - the root of the web application project

I want to put all releases in the tags directory, then any working changes into the branch directory based on the build number (which contains the date).

I think this is a good way to keep track of everything, but I'm very open to other suggestions.

Posted 12-15-2006 12:27 AM by Stephen Wright
Filed under:

Comments

AsbjornM wrote re: Your ASP.NET Web Application Subversion Repository Structures
on 12-15-2006 3:56 AM

I do it almost the same, but LLBLGen would go into an "External" folder togheter with other externals... Yes, I know it exists an external-reference thingy in svn, but I stil have the source/binaries in the same repository..

I also have an "Code" folder, and into that I have the WebRoot project and the other class libraries for the project, to separate it of the others. but Code, Database (which for me contains the scripts to rebuild the database, not an snapshot ugh..), Prebuilt (same as your libs), Docs and ThirdParty is in the trunk folder.

tom_wilde wrote re: Your ASP.NET Web Application Subversion Repository Structures
on 12-15-2006 6:50 AM

How about dependancies and subversion..? Say I have a usercontrol that's shared across several sites and I want to reuse the shared codebase in several projects as opposed to using the binary. I'd like to have a situation where I can just check out a project along with _all_ dependancies as projects within the same solution. I think VS can handle that in terms of portable project files but I've yet to find a source control system that can. I believe svn allows symlinking within the repo so that might do it....

re the branch/tag thing I've used svn for that and it works just great - svn handles most of the code merge really well when you bring branches together.

Dylan Marks wrote re: Your ASP.NET Web Application Subversion Repository Structures
on 12-15-2006 10:58 AM

Tom, i'm unsure of the best way of doing what you would like using subversion.  One thing to keep in mind with using a shared codebase in the way that you are talking about - consider what happens when you have Project A that uses CodebaseA.  Project A is completed and locked down with Version 1. It's now dependant on CodebaseA Version 1.

Project B also uses CodeBaseA.  You work on that, and this requires doing some breaking changes to CodeBaseA, which steps up to Version 2.  Suddenly Project A is broken, because it is automatically linked to a newer CodebaseA.

The way to avoid this of course is with labelling - ensuring that ProjectA and CodebaseA receive the same ProjectAVersion1 label, so that you can go back to that point in time.  Just thought I'd mention that, although you probably already know.

Anyhow, this might be useful to you for reusing usercontrols:

This was another fantastic article on this subject:

However, it looks like it is no longer available.  You can read it in google cache, or you can try bugging him to put it back online.

Stephen - one way that I store references to dlls is by adding them to a class library project called ExternalReferences in my solution, with a build action of Embedded Resource. I then simply reference that project in my other projects and have access to the dlls that way.

on 12-15-2006 11:00 AM

Thought I'd add one more link on the shared usercontrol thing:

You can tell I've spent a lot of time fiddling with this issue.  :)

Brig R. Lamoreaux wrote re: Your ASP.NET Web Application Subversion Repository Structures
on 12-15-2006 11:21 AM

Hi Stephen,

I've posted about this same issue and have been using a method that works well for our large web projects. Take a look

Christopher Bennage wrote re: Your ASP.NET Web Application Subversion Repository Structures
on 12-15-2006 3:01 PM

Hi Stephen,

I'm not sure why you would need to put working changes into branches.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding your terminology.

I would only use branches in situations where I needed parallel development on the same code base.  For example, after releasing v1.0 we decide to release a patch v1.01 while simultaneously developing v2.0.  I would create a branch for v1.01, and the trunk would be active work for v2.0.  Eventually, we hope to merge the branched code back in.

Does this approach make sense?

on 12-19-2006 6:33 AM

Hi ppl, thanks for the feedback! - I've been doing a little digging myself and I think I've found a half decent solution:

The Subversion client Tortiose allows you to auto import a sub-project into an existing source controlled project - this solves the dependancy problem. Essentially you set the svnexternals property on a folder and it'll import the specified module into your sourcecontrolled copy when you do an update. However.... it'll also propogate any changes you make to the dependancy back into the repository - so there's some kind of ACL required. This half solves Dylans problem above. The other half of that problem can be solved using something like CruiseControl to handle dependancy integration issue...

The aim here is have a project in svn I can check out and with one action have ALL the dependancies checked out _as source code_

Anyhow, I think i have a solution now, thanks everyone - interesting discussion!

Tarek Koudsi wrote re: Your ASP.NET Web Application Subversion Repository Structures
on 01-06-2008 10:17 AM

This is how I structured SVN in our development department:

- Product Root

- trunk

- bin (product deliverables)

- src (product source code)

- lib  (external referenced libraries/frameworks)

- autoBuild.build

- branches

- tags

- docs (Product documentation & issue tracker log)

However, I'm confused in regards to NUnit & NHibernate, what should be within the repository and what level?

Cheers,