This time of year is a time of resolutions and there certainly have been blog posts sprouting up about 2010 and what people are going to change about themselves. I’m however going to approach it differently…
Habit #2 of the The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is “Begin with the end in mind”. Which has a key part I like:
“…If you don't make a conscious effort to visualize who you are and what you want in life, then you empower other people and circumstances to shape you and your life by default….”
Where do you want to be in a year?
By the end of 2010 I want…
- to have learned more about the business.
- to understand lean manufacturing/processes and it’s adaptation to the software development world.
- to continue to read and learn more about marketing and the intersection of technology and marketing so that I can make more effective/informed decisions in my role at work.
- to continue exploring enterprise architecture both in book form but also in the often messy real-world. At work I’d like to use my knowledge of technology and architecture to continue to work to bring disparate systems together to reduce human involvement.
- to explore Ruby or F#, whichever seems to have real-world impact value to what I do.
- move to Git for source control at the enterprise level
- to be renewed as an Microsoft MVP
- to speak fewer times but with more authority/knowledge
That’s me, how about you? Where do you want to be in a year?
12-31-2009 11:31 AM