Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History

This feature is a life saver. I was working on my school project, and I was drawing UML Diagram with an Eclipse plugin. All of a sudden, the diagram went off, and all I saw was a screen with blank class boxes. I was going crazy, trying to find differences between a valid document and a buggy one with my eyes etc. Then i remembered a feature that Eclipse had: Local Revisions.

Every time you modify a file, Eclipse saves a copy of the old one in .metadata folder of the project. I was unable to reach the history in the IDE, but i can see the changes in the history folder.

image

The last version that worked was somewhere around 10 PM, and I manually copied the contents of that time period.

And now I can see my diagrams.

Admittedly, this is what SCM is for, but think of it that way: you wouldn’t commit a diagram until it is not near complete. You also wouldn’t want to waste 1 hour just to redraw the diagram.

My request is that they incorporate this small feature into VS 2010, or perhaps some good soul can do this as a free plugin into R# or directly into VS.

Posted 11-19-2009 12:38 AM by Tuna Toksoz
Filed under: ,

Comments

Paul Batum wrote re: Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History
on 11-18-2009 10:39 PM

Use a dvcs such as git, get in the habit of committing with great regularity. Problem solved :)

Gates VP wrote re: Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History
on 11-18-2009 11:53 PM

Could be just me, but I'll second Paul here... I seem to recall that Git is a local versioning system to do exactly what you're talking about: local commits.

PM-SilverCrux wrote re: Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History
on 11-19-2009 1:06 AM

I agree with Paul and Gates. Keeping versions of your files shouldn't be IDE's responsiblity.

Tuna Toksoz wrote re: Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History
on 11-19-2009 1:07 AM

I still wouldn't want until i am at a some point. Even though it is local, it is a commit anyway :)

Kirschstein wrote re: Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History
on 11-19-2009 5:30 AM

+1 for this feature.

I disagree with the argument that your scm does this so it should be kept separate. The point of an IDE is it's _everything_ you need for development rolled into one program. Why not have a feature like this? Hard disk space is so cheap it's practically free, and any feature that can potetionaly save me from my own stupidity / software crash gets my vote.

Dan Countryman wrote re: Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History
on 11-19-2009 8:48 AM

It may not work in VS 2010, but our team always uses Visual Local History  www.codeplex.com/wikipage

This has saved our team many times.

Scott Isaacs wrote re: Feature Request For Visual Studio 2010: Local Revision History
on 11-19-2009 9:08 AM

Haven't used it myself, but you could look at Transactor (http://www.transactor.com/) for that.  It's not free though.

on 11-19-2009 12:36 PM

@Dan

Thank you, i didn't know about this project, but have just installed.

on 11-20-2009 1:34 AM

Tuna, you are missing the whole advantage of local commits. Because you get the opportunity to rewrite your local commits before anyone else sees them, you can commit broken, non-compiling stuff without concern! You can basically use your local repository as a significantly more robust undo-buffer!

When you make the switch to a dvcs, you have to change your attitude towards commits to get maximum value out of it.

But I digress. Looks like you've found something that works for you.

on 11-20-2009 1:39 AM

@aul Batum

I haven't thought from this perspective, rewriting the old commits. Sounds like a good alternative.