ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory

image

This is a really quick post, mostly for myself so the next time I have this issue I can find the answer (yes, I often search my blog before google).

The error “Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory” can be thrown by ASP.NET when you use relative paths incorrectly.  If you generate a url with too many “../../../” levels in it that would take the user above the root directory, you can generate the exception.

Why the exception?  Security I guess, but it’s a client URL and the server should know better than let the internet walk the C drive, but at one time a company in Redmond had servers with just such issues.  My problem isn’t with the unneeded exception (after all, it would just be a 404 link worst case), but with the bug in ASP.NET that causes it.

If you are using Server.Transfer or HttpContext.RewritePath to redirect a request (say map it to a template page) and have a HyperLink control with the ImageUrl property set, you win an extra “../” by the framework.  The fix is to wrap the HyperLink control around an Image control.

In code, if you have:

<asp:HyperLink runat="server" NavigateUrl="~/FlyPage.aspx"
ImageUrl="~/Images/DeadFly.png" Width="200" Height="200"/>

Change it to:

<asp:HyperLink runat="server" NavigateUrl="~/FlyPage.aspx">
<asp:Image runat="server" ImageUrl="~/Images/DeadFly.png"
Width="200" Height="200" />
asp:HyperLink>

(I said it was a quick post… now go register for CodeStock!)

Posted 03-12-2010 3:09 PM by Michael C. Neel
Filed under:

Comments

lex wrote re: ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory
on 03-12-2010 6:47 PM

hi,

can not understand problem... why not to use ~/ before image url?

"~/inc/img/some.jpg"  no extra "../" needed, framework do replace by itself. Also works great in master.pages...

tperri wrote re: ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory
on 03-12-2010 6:55 PM

Lex,

You cannot use ~/ because ~/ takes you to the root of the web application.  He was trying to go above the root with a ../

HTH

Michael C. Neel wrote re: ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory
on 03-13-2010 11:38 AM

Sorry, I sould have pulled out the bindings in the examples.  The image urls are actually "~/", but in processing them to html links for the client, the .Net framework will add too many "../" (I've always wondered why they chose relative paths by default)

DotNET News wrote DotNET News
on 03-15-2010 11:35 AM

DotNET News

theluk wrote re: ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory
on 09-12-2010 6:15 PM

Hey thanks, you helped me realy out...

Brian Dukes wrote re: ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory
on 03-14-2011 6:07 PM

Thanks, just ran into this.

MMH wrote re: ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory
on 04-01-2011 1:07 AM

Thanks for the post. Hyperlink fix

Harsha Vardhan wrote re: ASP.NET: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory
on 04-13-2011 2:13 PM

You are brilliant. It took me many hours to find this solution, (your article in Google).

You helped me a lot. God bless  :)